Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lady Duner needs some Advice - mods on Warrior!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, fellow 4-wheelers! I know I can count on you to help me out! I have a stock 2001 Warrior, and I would loooove to start modifying it! I don't want to do anything real crazy this year, thinking about a new air filter (I heard the stock ones tend to suck up the sand), and I am definately needing a full pipe set-up. I would like to increase my horsepower and throttle response, while keeping a spark arrestor in the whole package. Thinking about FMF, White Bros, and BIG GUN. Any feelings on any of these brands? I ride on the dunes and the desert trails, not a lot of rock hopping, although I was also thinking about some engine and chassis protection. A waste of $$ for the type of riding I do? Also, are the tires that come stock OK to keep on, or are they too balloony? I have some 8" paddles that seem to get the job done, but wonder about my all-terrains. Any advice you guys (and fellow females!) have for me would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

- Sandhopper

Old 01-14-2001, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Well first off ive heard a lot of good things about the Pro Flow Design air box setups im sure that would help you on the whole filter idea. And as far as pipes go I have a friend that does setup's for race quads and stuff of that nature and he seems to thing that SuperTrapp is the best for 4-strokes and/or White Brothers the E-series from White Brothers seems to be VERY adjustable (from bottom, mid, or mid-top power). Ive heard nothing but good about both. Im not sure about the tires.......Not much sand out here in Iowa
=-) Ive also heard some people talk about doing some sprocket changes for more low end? I dunno its all rider preference though. If you go to the right place you should be able to get that Pro Flow adapter for about $75 or so. The pipe's im not sure about right off hand. I had a '00 Warrior. It was a great bike! Hope this helped some. Oh and skid protection is never a waste of money. If your luck is like mine you just know that your gonna nail something when you dont have it! Good Luck! Have fun!

'01 Blue Raptor- Blue Shockwears, Black UFO Handguards, Sportin a pipe (GYT-R? White Bro?)

'99 Green Wolverine- SuperTrapp pipe, Jetting, UNI Filter, Skids, Black UFO Handguards

Old 01-14-2001, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

Foxrunner is right, you can never go wrong with skids. We probably ride in the same terrain, and my stock skids where anialated after having my warrior a month or so. It now has DG skids on it, and even they have some large gouges in them. The Whitebros E-series workes great on the Warrior. If you want the performance in the sand, the way it comes will be fine. If you want the performance for the trails, remove some plates(from the e-series) and get a torque stuffer. Don't be overly optomistice about sand performance though. The warrior is a great machine, but sand is not it's forte. You'll want to change the filter. I have a K&N, but I've heard the pro-flows are very good also. you'll need to rejet your carb with these mods though. If you get your pipe and filter from ALBA, they'll include a jet in the kit that's set for sea level, but it works OK here also. finally, get ride of those tires!! If you can afford it, the 22" holeshots or razrs work great on the warrior. Bandits are good warrior tires, but tend to clog in the mud. Especialy here, where our mud is mostly clay.
Whew! Ok, now im out of breath. Enjoy your ride, see ya on the trails!

Old 01-14-2001, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

My 2000 Warrior has the following mods and they work great on trails, in the mud, and riding dunes on the Oregon coast.

DMC Dual Barrel pipe and spark arrestor silencer.

Pro Flow adaptor with K & N filter.

AMP Link.

Jet kit.

You're looking at about $600 total and the performance improvement is really good.

Old 01-14-2001, 04:13 AM
Range Rover

You can see below, what I have, and I couldn't be happier with it. By the way, Coos Bay, Oregon, has to have the best dunes in the United States next to Glamis.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Very cool, thank you so much for the responses! I'm starting to lean towards White Bros, as I have yet to hear anything negative about them. Yeah, my expectations for power in the dunes is pretty realistic. I know my Warrior is no Banshee, but I did make it up the Wall many times with just my little stock self! I figure I can hurt myself plenty on my bike, and have all expectations of graduating to a Raptor in a year or so when I have grown bored of my Warrior, but for right now, I am still trying to think of ways to fit it in bed with me (JUST KIDDING!) I love my quad!!!!!! I even have a pic of it at work for my screensaver!

I will be evaluating my tires, and I have heard Holeshots are great, but what makes them a better tire? Quality? Price? Both?

Again, I appreciate the education and experience you all share, and hopefully someday I can return the favor!

In the meantime, ride safe!

- Sandhopper

Old 01-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

Do you run with your Razr's in the dunes? How do they work? I want new multi-purpose tires instead of buying paddles.

Old 01-15-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

what r amplinks?do they work good

Old 01-15-2001, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Sandhopper, I recently modified my '00 Warrior for the sand and the trails, and dont believe the Banshee owners, you can keep up with them in the dunes. I have replaced the Piston with 10.25 compression, a new Camshaft that is for low to midrange, a White Brothers new R-4 silencer with spark arrestor a ProDesign airfilter, and I also had to rejet. Contrary to belief, not all bikes are the same, so your jetting may vary from mine. I went up a size on the pilot jet, and down a size on the main jet. I had no problem keeping up with my friends on their Warriors. As far as the tires, use your paddles on the sand, and get rid of the factory for trail riding. Any thing you can get that is a flat tread will work, I prefer TurfTamers, but holeshots or razors will work just fine.

I ride in OK at Little Sahara, hope to see you there.

Old 01-16-2001, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Go to amp-research.com and select PRODUCTS from the main menu. Then select Amp Link. This will give you a good description of what the Amp Link is designed to do. You can also select two Dirt Wheels articles relating to the Amp Link on this same web page. Performance is definitely improved with this bolt-on product (installation is a bit tricky, but not hard).

Quick Reply: Lady Duner needs some Advice - mods on Warrior!!!