Top end warrior rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end warrior rebuild

Hey pmcc37 check this site out

http://www.motosport.com/offro...MAHA%3BWARRIOR%3B1988

whats the difference in stage 1 and stage 2?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Seems a little pricey. Stage 2 offers more valve duration and lift which means your valves will open more and stay open longer which = more power. Also will make the engine rev faster. You may want to think about getting a pipe before you get a cam.

One other thing, after setting the timing and before you get ready to start the engine for the 1st time, turn the engine over a couple of times with a wrench to make sure the piston doesn't hit anything (like your valves). If you have the timing off and try to start it with the starter the 1st time, you could bend a valve and that would make a bad day! (It sucks - I had to learn the hard way).

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Since that thing is an 88 I would really recommend doing yourself a favor and getting the Web Camshafts .430" lift cam, and new valve springs. The cam is $117 plus a $105 core charge (refunded when you ship them your old one) and $95 for valve springs. You would really be doing yourself a favor by replacing the springs on such an old motor anyway, and the Web cam is above and beyond any HotCam, by far. Also, when pulling your old cam you generally have to thread the sprocket nut back in a few threads to pull the cam and bearing out. Replace that outer bearing rather than phucking with pulling it off the old cam and what not, its only $15.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

you can put new valve springs in, but having to chunk out the extra dough to have the head machined to fit heavyduty valve springs dosen't seem worth the money, plus the loss in reliability since the warrior has starting issues anyway, just dosen't seem feasible. just replace the stock ones, only $45 for the set, if yours are colasped, you won't know till you tear into the head, they proabably are, but may not be.

And raptor450 is right, check and recheck your timing, if its off and you bend a valve you'll be cussing all of us, for any advice..... lol
As far as the stage 2 hotcam, it depends on what you are wanting, I can't get the page to open so not sure on the price, but I couldn't find a Stage 2 2 yeas ago when i bought my hotcam for my 01' warrior that got stolen, so I just used it in the 97' when i bought it
And you will need new exaust, but it will simply compliment the cam and motor work, by letting the bike breath..

Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Head machined to fit heavy duty springs? I don't know what you are smoking bro but share the wealth. You don't heave to get any machine work done to put in heavy duty valve springs. The reason a HotCam doesn't require new springs is because it is less aggressive, giving less gains, therefore not as good as a Web; which requires HD springs.

In all due reality, the first thing you should do is put a new exhaust pipe on. The HMF slip-on is a great pipe and is fairly cheap.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The Webcam is much better than the Hotcam. I don't remember now what the specs were, but when I was shopping for a cam the Webcam had WAYYY more lift and duration than the Hotcam. The 350 motor needs all the help it can get, so I highly recommend a bigger cam. (.430" Webcam is perfect for slightly modified engines). The Hotcam was intended for ease of installation where it is optional to replace the valve springs.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

If you are not having to machine the base on your head for the heavyduty springs, evidentliy you aren't buying HD springs, somebody is selling you stock replacements as HD, either that or you have a hell of a press to get those springs to seat and your retainer clip in, which is not possible becuase on a warrior head there is not enough clearence......

Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I am not going to argue with you; But all I have to say is I've got a Warrior, with the WebCam, with Web's performance springs and I had no issues whatsoever, and I know there are a plethora of others out there with the same setup, no machining, and all is swell. You make the call, bro.

Anyway, as I said earlier, don't mess with a cam unless you have an aftermarket exhaust, otherwise you will never begin to see the benefits of the better cam.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not tryning to argue, I just looked it up, I didn't know Webcam made a standard legnth "Heavyduty" Vavle spring that uses a shortend vavle guide. But agian the Webcam is overkill and you will actually loose power if you don't do anything to compliment it, like a bigger intake valve, then you would go with actual "HD Springs" And a Big Bore Piston, otherwise you are just adding one top out performance part, with the rest biegn mediocre, dosen't make much sense. Any time you are building a race motor you want to build everything to work together not agianst each other..... And Just installing a Webcam is not gonna help one bit unless you do the rest......

But I do agree on the exuast, you will need to get a aftermarket slip on silincer, and that word is ironic.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pmcc37

I'm not tryning to argue, I just looked it up, I didn't know Webcam made a standard legnth "Heavyduty" Vavle spring that uses a shortend vavle guide. But agian the Webcam is overkill and you will actually loose power if you don't do anything to compliment it, like a bigger intake valve, then you would go with actual "HD Springs" And a Big Bore Piston, otherwise you are just adding one top out performance part, with the rest biegn mediocre, dosen't make much sense. Any time you are building a race motor you want to build everything to work together not agianst each other..... And Just installing a Webcam is not gonna help one bit unless you do the rest......

But I do agree on the exuast, you will need to get a aftermarket slip on silincer, and that word is ironic.</end quote></div>

Shortened valve guide? I really haven't a clue where thats coming from either. The HD springs simply replace the stock springs and retainers, simple as that. Just installing ANY cam is going to do anything worthwhile unless you run a high flow filter (K&N or Uni) and an aftermarket exhaust. If you are going to put in a new cam, you may as well do it right, and a WebCam is the only reasonable way to go when you probably should replace the springs anyway; as it is so much more lift and duration than a HotCam. Also, you don't need a bored cylinder to see benefits, and you definately do not need bigger valves.

Quick Reply: Top end warrior rebuild