Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior Need Some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior Need Some help

My brother has a 2001 warrior that he is actually giving me. Its got a wiseco 12:1 piston, heavy duty valve springs, Hinson racing clutch, Grind cam, Full exhaust, K&N intake (stock box, just the filter) and a completely stock suspension/frame/chassis all around. It burns a lot of oil. Sucker runs really strong (tons of torque and power) But i dont like how much shifting i have to do, i feel like the gears run out way too quickly. Are their any popular sprocket changes to minimize that problem? The oil burning thing, I cant smell oil or anything, but i have a gut and i think their is blue smoke out of the exhaust when i am completely ***** to wall opened up on the throttle. What can i do to fix this? I would also like some more power, Should i do a carb and open my intake up more? Or, is their any popular engine swaps that go in with much fabbing? I also need another inch or two on the width, what should i go with? I do mostly tight trails upstate it gets pretty hairy up hill so i need to keep all my trail driveability.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

diffrent sproket.... 14 tooth up front will help relieve some of the low end and make it more useable. As far as the smoke, depends on what has been done to the motor, may need to have the jug bored (if possible) and new piston and rings, or it could be the valves are leaking. Have to pull the head to see. I bet its the valves if it is burning alot of oil, but not a whole lot of smoke. Have the head redone and ride it.

Suspension, lots of options, wider a-arms, diffrent shocks, depends on how much ou want to spend.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Yeah, more than likely it's your piston rings. While you're in there replace the valve seals. It's one or the other causing it to burn oil. When I had mine it did the same thing, I thought it was the valve seals, replaced those and it ended up being the rings.

If you're not running race fuel then it's not a 12:1 piston. More than likely you have a 10.75:1 piston. Replace that Wiseco with a 10.5:1 JE, or if you are running race fuel and like to pay $85 per gallon for gas JE also makes a 12:1 piston. Also the "Grind" cam you mentioned must be a Webcam "84 Grind" or similar. There is no such name as a "Grind" cam. Just trying to help you out there.

Definately get a 14 tooth sprocket on the front with 20"-22" rear tires. If you run 20" rear tires and are lightweight and like more top end speed, you may get away with a 15 tooth sprocket.

The most popular engine swap for a Warrior: swap the whole bike for a better one.

When buying a-arms you can spend major money real quick. arms - $350 from American Star, SS Brake Lines - $75, Works shocks - $350, Durablue +4 axle - $320

Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah man thanks for the info, He bought the motor on ebay and those are the specs it gave, he should have built up a different motor. Okay thanks fo rthe check list i am going to do the je piston, and more fun stuff

Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raptor450

The most popular engine swap for a Warrior: swap the whole bike for a better one.

</end quote></div>

I agree, but go look on ebay they have some sick engines in warriors, not sure where they get the room, but they do. But they are usless, unless you wanna drag race a rail car or something and still loose...lol

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

mine did the same thing i have a 96 warrior it used to pour blu smoke mainly caused by the rings i would start wih a tear down and checkrod berring piston for marks cylinder walls bottle brushed to keep oil up high if it is good buy new rings clean head for deposits pull valve springs replace oil guide seals and timing chain and sproket withch u should any way cuz both pieces are cheap that should take care of the smoke thats blue as for the gearing live with it its a woods bike not a race quad