Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I want to know some things about Banshees

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to know some things about Banshees

Hi i was thinking of buying a new 4-wheeler. Sure for up here in Montana a yfz 450 would probably be better but i don't have 4-6$ bucks to dump on a 4-wheeler. I'm only 16 and saving up but i think i might buy a banshee. I found one in Billings Montana and it seems fairly nice for only 2,500$ and as far as i have seen. Banshees will whoop anything in a drag. They kick *** in the sand. They are decent trail bikes with some new suspension. a few things i wanted to know though, these are some weird questions but.

What is the m.p.g. on these.

How long will a tank of gas last?

Do they break easily?

Can i get a speedometer for them and maybe blinkers for riding it on the road around town?

I am 6 foot tall and 190 pounds. think this is too small of a ride for me?

Do they have a little compartment in the back like some other quads?

Are they good for like dirt riding and stuff? i always hear them being used on sand and for drags.

Does it matter the year of them on how well they work? I'm not worried about looks.

And finally what are some cheaper and useful mods i should get for it?

Please the master know it all about banshees help me and please don't post how this is better or the raptor 700 kicks its *** or anything. Like i said I'm not rich.

Thank you.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All years of the Banshee are pretty much the same. The first 2 model years had J-arms instead of A-arms and it is probably better to avoid those if possible. IMHO, banshees are a blast to ride but suck for a full day of trail riding. They aren't real comfortable and the powerband tires you out over the duration. These things can be remedied but be forewarned, it is pretty easy to dump 5K into a banshee build. Once you get started it is hard to stop, lol.

Gas doesn't last to long, no idea on mpg, but it isn't much more than 20 or so, depending on terrain and speed.
As long as you are **** with maintenance, they are pretty reliable actually. It pays to run a good gear oil in the tranny and keep it jetted for conditions
You can get setups with speedometers like from TrailTech. You could also just mount a GPS. Blinkers could be installed as well, but you need to check with the local DMV to see what it takes to make one legal. In most places they are not road legal no matter what.
There is a small spot for tools under the seat. Other than that no storage to speak of.
Unless you put some cash into making it a trail rider, there are other options that are much better suited in that price range. I have used one for trail riding, and plenty of others do it as well, but Banshees can be a handful.
Since it is a twin cylinder, there aren't to many "cheap" mods. You need to buy 2 pipes, 2 silencers, replace 2 pistons, port 2 cylinders, jet 2 carbs, etc. The first thing to get would be a set of pipes if running the stockers. After that maybe some mild head work or carbs. Replacing the horrid stock air filter situation is advisable.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very well said, I agree 100%

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, do you think i am a bit to big for one? And i think i will enjoy the power of one. ripping around on trails would be fun, i didn't mean all day trail riding in the mountains though >.< but another thing is how long will a tank of gas last me? and 1 last question I heard some people saying stuff like "my banshee was awsome today, it only started losing power after 5 days" And that was like a slap in the face, i don't plan on tuning this thing up all the time. so was that a true statement about it losing power after only a week or so of riding? And correct me if i am wrong but if i only took it in to get fixed up a bit and mybe tuned up a bit every like 4-6 months would it be bad for it. Like should i do it more often and would it start to lose power after that long?

Thank you. You guys are a REAL help on this site, no jokes.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

too big for a banshee? nah, banshee's are big boy toyz and have alot of power. they will break down on you if you dont take good care of them. if its a teenager selling it. DONT BUY IT... im 18 and i know how rough we can be on quads. banshee's are very powerful and will leave you on your back if you just jump on it and pretend to know what your doing. drive it around a bit before you hot dog it. also make sure you take plenty of extra spark plugs. two strokes will go through them. all and all their pretty reliable. i dont know the mpg rate, but ive heard complaints that the tank isnt big enough for a full day ride. take extra gas.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

i am 15 and i manage to trail ride my banshee easily, i stay ahead of my buddy and his 700rappy and go through what ever the gizz or kodiak does, its all smart riding, i am **** about keeping it takin care of, your should change the tranny oiul atleast every 30 hours, 20 if possible 2 min job) clean the air filter after every week or so of riding (5 min) dont let stff get into the motor which is something for all motors, and make sure its jetted right, go to bansheehq.com if you end up buying one, we can help you with anything and get your bike running great and you will soon be able to work on it with your eyes closed.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you aren't to big by any means. The Banshee we had was worked up with just about any bolt on part you could imagine, a tank of gas would last about 2 hours. It has been a few years since it was sold though, your usage may vary greatly from that. If the quad is jetted properly and you keep the filter clean and intake clean, you shouldn't lose power after 5 days of riding unless you are doing some sort of endurance racing/on the gas all the time. I see plenty of people claiming several years between top end replacements. You would want to do rings at least once or twice a year though. Some of those you are hearing talk may be running alky or otherwise have extremely built motors with inherently shorter life spans also. Built Banshees are pretty common, the trick is finding a stock one, lol. Lastly, 2 strokes DO foul plugs more readily, but quality plugs on a properly jetted machine will last a season easily. Living in Montana, your jetting will change with the seasons, and you may want to have a winter setup, summer setup, and another for spring/fall. Once you know which jets you need for what temps, it is easy to replace them yourself. I would still carry a set of spares though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

this sounds gay haha but what are jets? and for keeping care of my baby what all will i need tool wise?

Also how much would a new set of shocks cost? I have heard that a new set of these will make riding better and way more comfortable.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Range Rover

if you visit bansheehq.com once it is back up and running, there are lots of threads about how carbs work and how to maintain your bike, there is 3 jets in a carb, main jet pilot jet and needle they all change the amount of fuel that goes into the motor, as you mod the bike 9anything to improve air flow) you MUST improve gas/oil flow (you do know you mix gas with oil for 2-strokes right?). it is simple to do and only take a few minutes
shocks can be found anywhere from your local stealership, ebay, or online store, i know that a new pair of front shocks can run from 350-1000 new but you dont need the higher preoce ones, if you get shocks you might as well get extended a-arms to provide better handling

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Banshee 101

PROS: Awesome and fun power delivery, plenty of guts to move the biggest fellow at break-neck speed........ a ride like nothing on the planet, seriously you must ride one to understand it.... one of the coolest sounding machines ever built, it just screams like a.....err........Banshee....... endless mods available and sky is the limit .........they are solid framed and reliable when tuned properly.......2-stroke means cheap and easy mods and rebuilds.........

CONS: designed in the 1980s so ergonomics are lacking compared to the new machines - and the handling is nothing great even with nice suspension......... 2-stroke means you will be mixing gas which is an expensive proposition these days with premium gas nearing $4.00 a gallon, add in the oil and the relatively poor fuel economy that is a 2-stroke and you have some high priced dollars-per-tank-of-fun.......

Quick Reply: I want to know some things about Banshees