Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Financing New Quad Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing New Quad Need Some Advice

I will be buying either a Raptor 700 or a YFZ 450 and I love them both so much but am not sure what one i want. I am an aggressive skilled rider who ways about 210, love to launch jumps, and really stay on the throttle most of the time but on the other hand some days i just like to cruise. I know i will get 100 comments about how if your an aggressive rider get the yfz and if your more of just a trial rider get the raptor. I would like to know from someone who has ridden them both alot from your personal opinion what would be the best choice, what one is all around more fun to ride? The bonus of the rappy is the shear tourq , but it looks a little to top heavy and looks like it would react real shi..tty on hill climbs and jumps on the other hand the yfz is low and wide which is what i like most about it. Then again the yfz doesnt have that 700 tourq. Im going fu..cking nuts making this decision someone please help lol.

I mainly ride in Maryland and New Jersey. Maryland is kind of rocky and hard packed while jersey is mainly hard packed sand and alot of sugar sand. If any ones road the pine barrens hear you know what i mean. Its some of the best riding the east coast has to offer because of the massive sand quarry's we turn them into a quad playground and im talking massive jumps, massive hill climbs that go on for miles and miles of new ground to be uncovered. There are probally 10000000000000000 different trails that lead of to different sand pits all along south jersey, any way my a.ss is getting off topic so honestly what would be the best way to go?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing New Quad Need Some Advice

They are both good quads and both excel at different things. 95% of my ride time is with a 450 and we both prefer our quads, so I dont think anyone can tell you what you will like better.

I will tell you what i like about the 700 better for my personal preference.

We mainly trail ride so I love the torque and how easy it bogs down. I like how it feels when your sitting on it. I dont like the narrow seat and forward lean of the 450, you sit more up right on the 700. Im not a big guy and I feel cramped on the 450. Reverse is nice but not a huge deciding factor. FI is awesome and I will not own another quad with out it. My quad sat for 5 months over the winter and started right up.

The 700 is by know means tipsy but it is more top heavy than a 450. I put a set of 450 shocks on mine with a GT thunder linkage on the back. This helped the handling and the jumping. It makes my 700 slightly lower than a stock 450.

If your into doing big jumps then I would lean more to the 450.
Name:  shocks023.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  98.0 KB