Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with my 660 raptor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my 660 raptor

I have a 01 660 raptor and when i go to start it it wont turn over at all. maybe its not getting a spark i dunno.. but when i press the gas well starting the gas pours back into my air box and i dont know why. could it be my float or my carb gummed up.? its making me mad cause i finished fixing the one way clutch and gear and now this.. if you have any ideas plz respomd ASAP

Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't turn over at all??? Dead battery? Siezed cylinder? Need more information.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try giving the battery a quick charge.. Check all the cables, too.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Range Rover

Jordo1313,

Sorry you're having troubles with your Raptor Bro. Hope this helps for ya. I've went through alot of trouble shooting with mine in the past with upgrades.

First of course, We need to make sure you have battery power. Turn on the headlights to ensure this. If you're getting power then it's not the battery. And sorry if this seems stupid but we must go through the whole thing. Next go to your relay and check the fuse out. That usually never goes out but that's the next stop in the wires. If everything is good there, We might be looking at a starter. I've had a few of my buddies come to me with a sheared starter shafts. These might run around 80 to 100 bucks. I would tell ya to get on off ebay. But you should have 2 bolts and a power wire on that rig. It's not hard to remove it. You'll know right off the bat when your remove it if it's the shaft. I'm sitting in Iraq right now or I would send you pictures of the steps. I've got pictures for about everything replaced on the Raptor.

Where are you from? Asking cause carbs really don't ever gum up. If it was running before you did your clutch replacement then you're good. With that gas coming into your airbox, that's no biggie.

So If your rig isn't turning over fix that first. One way you find out if your cylinder froze up is to go to the left side of your motor and you'll see a Phillips Head screw or bolt , whatever you want to call it, and take that off. You'll have to get a socket and rachet to manually turn your motor. I don't think it's going to be your cylinder or carbs. I think it's your battery power getting to your starter or the starter itself.

Good Luck on the fixing for the Raptor. I'm subscribed to this topic. I'll check back. Hope you're riding this weekend cause I know I sure as heck would be.

Peace from the MiddleEast!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I didn't see that this happend just after you replaced the clutch, you didn't mess up the saftey switch or anything did you?