Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Warrior has no fire what is it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Warrior has no fire what is it

I have a 02 warrior with a 87 motor but i changed the flywheel and the stator to match the wiring for the 02 but i still have no fire. Could it be a bad stator and how to check it or what else could it be

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

it could be a bad stator or cdi box. if you have an OHM meter you can test it that way. i'm guessing it will turn over but your not getting spark? more than likely it's your stator.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

will a stator go bad if it sets in a garage off the motor for a year?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

i don't believe so. at least i've never herd of that happining.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The components of an ignition system are the flywheel, stator (consisting of a pulse (trigger) coil, source coil, and charging coil), Ignition coil (connects to the spark plug), and the CDI. All the components can be tested except the CDI.

Off the top of my head, I cannot remember the exact values, but you will need a Multimeter to measure resistance - the most common component to go bad on a Yamaha is the pulse coil - someone on here may be able to provide the values you need and which wires in the harness belong to what component.

Not being really familiar with the later model like the '02, but I know the stator pulse coil and source coil are replaceable with aftermarket parts on the older models - there is also a company in Canada that will "rebuild" your stator for about 1/2 the price of a new one.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

I checked my wires coming out of my stator today with a ohm meter and i didn't get any thing out of it. so should i? or is a multimeter different than a ohm meter, but i'll see if i can get a multimeter and check it with it before i buy a new stator.

Thanks 4 the help !!!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

you can test a stator with either one. did you test it with the bike on? also when testing the stator try hitting the on/off switch and the start button and see if you get anything out of it.

also check the connections that the stator plugs into. in other words the plugs comming out of the wire harness on the frame. you can even check for any dirty or loose connections while your at it.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

I unhooked the stator wiring and tested it through the plugs while i was turning the bike over, and then i poked through the wires out of the stator with the meter in case of a bad plug and still nothing.

thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

and if i can check it with a ohm meter what should i set it on? i had it set on 20 dc when i tried. i just don't know if that was what it should be checked on. i'm not the greatest when it comes to electrical. and i was wondering if it could be because i have a 02 flywheel and stator on a 87 motor ?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

that shouldn't make a difference. but i could be wrong....

Quick Reply: My Warrior has no fire what is it