Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Interesting Raptor Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with a person from a well known place of business that is known especially for their quality modifications on 4-strokes. I won't disclose the name, because I don't want to get the lady on the phone in any kind of trouble.

On the Raptor high-compression 11:1 pistons: Below 1000 ft, it's required that you burn 100% race fuel. About 1,000 ft, you can go half and half. With the piston, a pipe and cam, they claim a 22% increase in power. 15% coming from the pison alone.

On the Raptor pipes: Removing the stock baffle and re-jetting results in a 12% improvement. A good aftermarket pipe maybe 15%. The person said that an aftermarket pipe only makes a noticable difference when used in conjunction with the hi-comp piston and cam and that the stock exhaust system minus the baffle was adequate for the stock cam and piston.
I questioned about the CT Racing pipe and the person said that with the baffle removed and airbox mods, on that type of dyno with the same dyno tires used, the stock exhaust would hit near 50 HP as well.

On the Raptor cam for the stock piston: Provides better throttle response in low and mid, but not as noticable as when you removed your baffle.

On the big bore kit: They had plans to sell one, but there seems to be a problem losing a gear when they really pump up the power. They predicted that others currently offering a big-bore would end up discontinuing them due to the problems that they encountered.

I had a Banshee prior to this, but it was only piped. Is there a similar issue with the Banshee transmission or gears? If so, how much HP can a Banshee handle before it is no longer reliable?

Do you think we will seem many more advances in the Raptor from after market companies?

Old 01-19-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

bash,
Sounds like you have been talking to the lady @ Powroll. I have had several discussions with them at Powroll and have gathered similar info. FST makes a high comp piston kit, they claim you can run premium pump fuel. My guess is that it is a 10.5-1 ratio. The problem is getting in touch with someone at FST. They only take phone calls between certain hours of the day for 2 hours. I am currently looking for a high comp piston kit and spoken to several MFG's. They all say the same thing about fuels and ratio's. If you know of a reputable MFG of high comp piston kits for the Raptor, let me know. Chances are I have already spoken to them, but any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Uh... okay, you win... Probably yes to everything you said....
Same on your end, if you learn anything else, let us know.