Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I get a Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I curently have a 500 scrambler and tomorow morning I am going to my dealer to check out a Sportsman to replace it. I was convinced that I wanted a Rubicon but decided that was the wrong direction for me. I like my scrambler overall but I want something that is a bit more sporty. The Raptor should fill that part, but in N.W. Iowa the snow gets plenty deep in the winter. I am afraid that the Raptor will not get around worth a hoot. Is this so or will it go ok. I ride with a Warior and he seemes to do ok. There has been more than once where i was folowing him and he would go over a drift and when i hit it is sanck like a rock and got stuck. I am hoping that seeings how the Raptor is virtualy identicle in wheight as the warior it will do the same. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

I was just riding with a friend of mine on his Sportsman in about 1'-1.5' of snow a few weeks ago. My raptor could do it, but the super deep snow on trails was clearly less of a hassle for the Sportsman. I really needed to be sensitive to momentum. There was a meadow that we were playing in and my quad was awesome. I think the key would be getting good mud/snow tires like Pure Sports Realtors. I think the Polaris quads suffer a little bit in soft terrain due to the weight. Your post cracks me up because I was thinking about looking for a sportsman for my wife to ride and for me to use on rock/mud expeditions! Good luck.

Old 01-21-2001, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Like the guy before said get a Raptor and put Realitor tires on it, you will be amazed.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

nope

Old 01-22-2001, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much snow are you talking about? Is it dry or wet snow? Snow is a funny thing and changes in temperature can make all the difference. A two wheel drive sport quad would have little trouble with 6" of dry snow but if it is wet then your going to get stuck a lot. Are there trails you can ride that are packed down my snowmachines? If so then you will be able to get around just fine. I've ridden four stroke sport quads, quadracers, wolverines and scramblers in the snow and the four wheel drive machines do go a lot better. The Scambler 400 was awesome in the snow as compared to the Wolverine. But the Scrambler was so big and heavy that it limited me as to how agressively I could ride and jump it. Try out your buddy's warrior for an afternoon and see how it does. If you find that you don't miss four wheel drive and that the conditions your riding in that day are pretty representative of normal then get the Raptor.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

JUST WAIT TILL SCRAMDADDY GETS TO THIS QUESTION. HAIL THE ALMIGHTY POLARIS. LOL

Old 01-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nope to much problems!!!!

98 blaster:CT midrange national pipe,titan turf tamers on 190.douglas rims

Old 01-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nope to much problems!!!!

98 blaster:CT midrange national pipe,titan turf tamers on 190.douglas rims

Old 01-24-2001, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Where abouts do you ride at in NW Iowa. I go to sheldon alot because my wife is from there didnt know there was anywhere to ride. Use to know a couple of girls from the boyden area back in the college days.

Old 01-25-2001, 10:42 PM
JAW
Weekend Warrior

I think you shoud get a warrior! they are the best.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Raptor