Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

lug nut rounded help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lug nut rounded help!!

i was taking off the rear wheel on my warrior when i ended up rounded one of the nuts. how can i get around to getting the wheel off? before i forget this is my first post seems like you guys know what your talking about..
thnx

Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

hammer on a 9/16 socket
truck your warrior to a tire shop they deal with that all the time i know i work at one

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

9/16 thnx i'll try..

Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

you can use like said before, slightly smaller socket (use a 12 point), hammer it on and use an impact. that or you can go your local auto parts store or sears and get a nut splitter. it splits the nut in half

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

i think the lung nuts yamaha uses are same metal as coathangers. this happened to me. i used the same size socket but place a greese rag over the striped nut and hammer the socket onto it so the rag will between the socket and nut. this always worked for me. good luck

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on how tight it is you might be able to work it off with vice grips or a pipe wrench.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Depending on what you are doing, you may could just remove the wheel with the hub attached, so just leave the lugnuts in place and remove the one big nut on the axle and the cotter key. Just don't strip that one, too!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

i done the same thing on my warrior ,i took a hand grinder and ground the bolt and all away,then knocked out the bolt from the hub and put a new one in its place.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you could do the easy thing and take it to a tire shop, they have these really cool tools(i own 2 different sizes myself) for taking off locking wheel nuts(you know the kind that they say makes it impossible to steal your custom wheels) if someone forgets their key. it just grabs the outer edge like an easy out and twists it back off, takes 30 seconds to remove the old nut and stick a brand new one on.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Dont bother with a Wallmart tire shop. They had some Goodyear Wrangler tires for my truck for $60 which would have been such a good deal it was worth dealing with Wallmart. They couldnt get my lugnuts loose. They were not stripped just to tight for them. They told me the biggest guy in the shop couldnt brake them loose. I loosened them all with my 4 way and they tried agian but still failed. They couldnt explain to me why they couldnt get them off with an impact when I allready loosened them. I had some nice words with them and went to Tires Plus where they told me I was the 2nd guy that day to come from Walmart with that problem and that they would get it done no matter what. They had no problem getting the job done.

Quick Reply: lug nut rounded help!!