Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee,cannondalefx400,ds650

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on purchasing a sport quad in the future.I'm thinking about these 3 though leaning away from the banshee.Which is the best choice

Old 01-23-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

The FX400 isnt out yet so we dont know how good it is? The DS is too big and heavy and you have to do alot of mods to a banshee to make it compete witht he big boys now. Get a Raptor or 400EX.

Old 01-23-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Those machines are very different (assuming that the fx400 will be similar to what Cannondale says).
The DS650 is an excellent duner and MX, although it has some bumpsteer. In the woods, I think you really have to learn your machine...if you ride alone, you will not appreciate that learning period (pulling a 500lbs quad is a pain). You have open spaces? Go for the DS! No premix for him.
The shee. You do not only buy a quad, you buy a myth! 15 years old, and still threatens the newest quads. I have one myself with the mods you cn see in my signature. Not much, but enough to have tons of fun. I found out it is a good narrow wood trail (thanks to its twin cyl. cycle reliabiltity -it's harder to stall a twin than a single-), it's a blast in fast trails and hillclimbing...I rode only once on an MX track with it so I can't say much about it. I found out that it is in the end a quite versatile machine, if you are ready to push yourself (and the quad). It only lacks reverse...but again, what it looses in versatility, it gets it back thanks to its lightweight. When he shee got stuck, me and my pal (400scram) never stayed stuck for more than 15 minutes (usually with 2 added arms, the shee reaches solid ground "easily"...if not, then the strap comes in handy, and I'm pulled out by my buddy). When the scram gets stuck...ouch! we once stayed like 1 hour to get it out of a ridiculous waterhole (with ice on the bottom)...the scram has reverse and 4x4, but is way heavier (BTW harder to unstuck by hand). I'm used to making premix before riding...not annoying.
The cannondale: it seems to be a full on racer, like the 250R was (I think). It is indeed a technological machine...but I would wait and see what people (notice PEOPLE, not the mags) say about it. With the bike (mx400), everyone thought it would be the best...it ended beeing a piece of $hit. They should hae solved their injection problems by now...but before buying it, TEST it. Not ride it, test it. Look for whatever could be wrong, check if the battery will hold on (problem o the bike, weak battery allowing 5 frank starts...and with no kickstarter...it better be charged), check for air filter maintenance, and dealer proximity (with the bike, you have to take it to the dealer for a simple idle setting).
Since you said nothing about raptor, 400ex, 250R, I guess you don't want none of these machines.

Which one do I prefer between your 3?
Banshee! Why? It's lighter and smaller than the DS and more "known" than a cannondale (easier to get information when you have a problem, parts...).

Old 01-23-2001, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

SykoQuadRider,
to big and to heavy? what?!? Yout not goign to be CARRYING the machine here guys. The ds's supesnion makes up for the weight. You can jump the ds higher (without bottoming) then any other stock machine on market and it is a great jumper to. Its suspension is by far the best. Sure the ds is heavy, but what does that mean? Just fill me in

00'ds
ryan

Old 01-23-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

You probably don't have much mud around where you live. A DS weights as much as a scrambler (no offence )...and trust me, my little arms (and my Xplor's arms also) still remember every time the scram got stuck!! What a pain to move a 500lbs quad! Really. With the shee, everytime, you could grab it somewhere and move it, enough for the wheels to grip and get going again. Like I said before, I don't remember any time we got annoyingly stuck with the shee. The scram did get us pretty "bored" to see the damn amchine tuck in its hole, with no way to move it! (Xplor could testify on that...or add precisions)
For the suspension, I can't judge sinceI have never a DS riding, but have been told that some guy jumped and the suspension just sucked everything, no bottoming as it would have dome with the shee.

Old 01-23-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

It means that when i am goin through a tight trail and get caught between some trees, it is a biootch to get it out because it is so HEAVY and no reverse. And while sliding it or donuts and all the fun stuff it sucks because of how HEAVY it is. And wqhen you jump you can tell how HEAVY IT IS. The Raptor is just a way better machine. I barely even ride my Ds anymore.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

syko
oh comone now, if you are stupid enough to get stuck between 2 trees (hahahahha) then you SHOUDL have to pull it out...if you want a mud machien,buy a sportsman

Old 01-24-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

300exster,
I like to go through thick trails, u know. iI am not a ***** like you. I go throught the thick stuff that you cry that you get scratched so it is not hard to slid off next to trees or something. Sorry that you a a useless *****.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

hahhahahahhah, you just called me a *****? Only if you knew. How is 450 acres of woods and hillclimbs? How about you come up to wisconsin and you shoot of your mouth here. Seeing how i'm a "*****" now you should have no prob running me over. WHy dont you get off the internet before you have a breakdown. stop keyboard racing and come race me. Show eveyrone how much of a ***** i am and how you are the fastest guy on an atv

00' ds
ryan

Old 01-24-2001, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

Where i ride it is very open and there are also alot of hill climbs which are made of rock.Ds650 good for this?

Quick Reply: banshee,cannondalefx400,ds650