Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster

So im trying to figure out how to determine what engine size to buy based on a persons weight.

I have read that a 2 stroke in theory can produce twice as much power as a 4 stroke as long as the 4 and 2 stroke are the same displacment. So in theory a 200cc 2 stroke should have the same or very close to the same power as a 400cc 4 stroke.

With that in mind, i have decided that i want to buy a 200cc 2 stroke yamaha blaster. I just bought me a 660 grizzly and i have not used it yet but i know i will. i want to try out bothy worlds> grizzly for the climbing and mountain trials while i will use the blaster for some speed and sand dunes.

The issue at hand is i weigh 225 pounds as of right now but im trying to get to 205. I have lost 12 pounds, YAY go me!!, point is, can a 200cc 2 stroke carry someone my wieght pretty good or do i need something bigger. Bare in mind i have never raced or driven quads except once and it was a auto. well i did try a yamaha 350 warrior the other day and did pretty good on shiftin. But those are the only times.

Is a 200cc a good starting point for my size and level of experience?

feed back would be much appreciated..

Thanx in advance (TIA)

Matt

Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Blaster

The blaster will probably be a little small for you, even at 205. Not sure of your height but I am 6'2" and the blaster I had was just too small for much enjoyment.

I would go with a warrior, raptor 350 or preferably a honda 400ex. Those are all great starter quads.

Ignore the 2-stroke 4-stroke comparison. It's a rough comparison but not all engines are equivalent. You don't have many options in the 2-stroke market anyway for beginner quads.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster

Ahh i see. I am 5'8. Crap to bad my neighboor just sold his 1995 350 warior for 1600$ i test drove it but didnt have time to or the means to get money at the time. Well i search for a honda or a warrior.

So what do i tell my friend who says that his 2 stroke 200cc blaster can beat a 400 cc raptor or preditor. i swear its all driver that determines the result of a race.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Blaster

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT72884
So what do i tell my friend who says that his 2 stroke 200cc blaster can beat a 400 cc raptor or preditor. i swear its all driver that determines the result of a race.</end quote></div>

My 400ex would kill my blaster. Blaster's have hop up potential as do the 400ex but, the average rider will do no more than pipe and filter one. At that level the 400ex should smoke the 'lil blaster.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Blaster

Yeah the Blaster will be a little under-powered for sand dunes and a 200 lb rider. A 400EX would be a better choice, and you can find them fairly cheap. And your friend with the Blaster won't stand a chance against a 400 EX, or a Predator. A Raptor 350, maybe if he's got plenty of mods.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster

hmm, interesting. I found a yamaha warrior in my area for 1600$
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?n...ad=3469790&cat=&lpid=

i guess i should at least pay off half of my new grizzly 660 before i go and buy more toys and drive my self into mountains of debt...

his blaster is stock. I imagine that the engineers behind yamaha nad other major motor companies understand the mechanics of a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine better than any of us and i imagine that they have engineered ways for a 4 stroke to out take a 2 stroke. I mean just add a btter cam to the 4 stroke and there ya go, better performance already.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster

i weigh 150 and my blaster is not stock and it still dosent have enuogh power for me, so i wouldn't go with a blaster and the olny other fairly new 2 stroke is a banshee and those arent for beggars
so i agree with the other guys, 400 4 stroke

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster

Ahh i see. I am 5'8. Crap to bad my neighboor just sold his 1995 350 warior for 1600$ i test drove it but didnt have time to or the means to get money at the time. Well i search for a honda or a warrior.

So what do i tell my friend who says that his 2 stroke 200cc blaster can beat a 400 cc raptor or preditor. i swear its all driver that determines the result of a race.</end quote></div>

wow, $1600 for a '95 warrior? it better have been heavily modded or in very mint condition for that. I paid $1600 for my '00 warrior and it was in great condition.
I agree with the others. get yourself a warrior/raptor 350 or a 400ex. either can be had for pretty cheap and can easily be modded for more power

Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster

When we started racing last year due to the AMA rules my son had to start in the Amateur production class. Max 200 2 stoke-300 4stroke. We went with the Blaster and it is heavily modified. I would make a difference choice today if I did it again. Yes you can get some serious HP from the Blaster, but with this comes the peaky power band and not much bottom end. The 300ex can make good HP and not lose the bottom end because of the 4 stroke. The other thing is the Blaster seems to be a maintance nightmare. It is always something and you continuously have to check compression and change rings to prevent further damage. Don't get me wrong, I do like the blaster in its stock form but I think I would go with the 4 stroke next time. But we are having fun and that's what counts.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: embler

wow, $1600 for a '95 warrior? it better have been heavily modded or in very mint condition for that. I paid $1600 for my '00 warrior and it was in great condition.

I agree with the others. get yourself a warrior/raptor 350 or a 400ex. either can be had for pretty cheap and can easily be modded for more power</end quote></div>

Yes, it was in VERY good condition. Never taken in the sand and only had a few hundred miles on it.

What can you do to a warrior that is not to expensive to mod it besides a pipe?

Back at Hotblooded:

I have heard that trying to maintain a 2 stroke is very tedious and has to be done quite often. I imagine since they are two cycle that the oil and gas mixture sure does a number on the rings, but then again im no mechanic so i could be wrong.
Im glad you enjoy racing or enjoying watching your family race. i would like to but i am very new at this and dont want to kill my self just yet.

Quick Reply: Blaster