Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone who know's what their talking about, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who know's what their talking about, Please!

I was having problems with my 98 warrior starting up. I've checked the spark (and changed plug) i've baught a new battery and cleaned the carb and the problem is still there. It turns over but it wont fire up. The starter has a loud clunking in it every now and then, but its been that way for quit a while. I guess i cant say it never fires up because every now and then it will fire up but i have to **** around with it for a long time. After its running and all and i shut it off i have the same problem. I would like some feed back on to what this **** could be. I cant even ride it now in fear that i'm gonna be stranded in the middle of no where. Its been about 2 1/2 months without my warrior and its killing me. So someone that actually knows what their talking about please reply to think and help me get my warrior back. Additional things as well is i can bump start it perfectly fine and it runs perfect but of course once again as soon as its off it will turn over but wont fire up. So please help!!! Thank you, Mark

Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 04 is doing tha same exact thing. We did everything that you did today also, but no luck. HELP PLEASE!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure about warrior,but if it has a starter clutch(one way starting clutch) could be the problem. Just remembered from the old Virago and also some Hondas I've replaced. Maybe there is a Yamaha tech on board somewhere. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check your valve clearance, when they get too tight or too loose they have a really hard time starting

Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ctateusa1

also check your valve clearance, when they get too tight or too loose they have a really hard time starting</end quote></div>

I would go with this one...

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Consider checking your compression. A 98 is 10 years old, now. With low compression it can run, but harder to light the fire.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys, I went out today just to **** with it to try and get it to fire up and about 20 seconds of pissin with it the fired right up. I ran it for a (1 1/2 hours) little bit just hoping that it would fix its self for some reason and it seemed to do fine for a while. I could shut it off and it would fire up no problem so i decided to let it sit for a while and went to start it and it took about 8 mins to get it going again. But its quite an improvement. I just need to figure out why its taking so long before it will kick over. Does this sound like a starter issue? I have noticed that when it turns over and sounds normal (i mean the starter is sounding normal) it doesnt start, but then when it starts clunking like something in the starter is about to blow outta the side it seems to fire up. Well just let me know what you all think. Thanks Mark.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Many Possiblitieys Your Problem may be .
Myself is Also Having a Go of things on my ATV i just got , And I have Never Realy Worked Much on bikes Before , however i have a Advantage !!

As i Worked for a few Skidoo Shops exc.. and Used to hold a Small Engine Ticket , So Engines i Do know Fairly Well. , Thought not so much on bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Anyway will Help you Anyway i can and if it dont make sence than its probly not your applacation :

Possiblitiyes :

I know you probly going to hate the sound of my # 1 & #2 Feelings , :

#1 I Have a Strong feeling that you have a bad Seal in your crank or base Gasket, Some times when you get to much Fuel , even thought a Seal or gasket is Leaking it will run and stay running till you shut it off , than bang your In the **** again.

Simple Test you can do to check a Bace gasket seal W/out taking it Apart :
Get a can of WD40 or Either , with engine Running , and spray it around the bace , and if your engine Revs up , you no you got bace gasket Problems.

Seals however are much more Tricky to Check, The Primary Causes of this are , Backfireing , or Cracked and Dryed Seals from the weather , or bad Bearings.

To check the Other Crank seals , you can also do the Either Test, But Most commen is to Clean the Area of the Casing well and Look for Oil Leakage.
If you Notice Leakage , you no its the Seals.

#2 Possibly you have a Wire on your Stator/Mag Plate Thats Rubbing behind the Flywheel, and Arcking out , So times You get lucky and it dont ark and than you run , other times you dont run. Or you Have a Leaking Oil Seal or Much Dirt In your Flywheel area On the Mag Sensors , or Point Engines Also is Same here to.

Dose This Thing Backfire? Or Did it ? Causes For Backfires if not bad Gas or Gas Problems is due to the fireing system of your Engine. Oil & Heavy Dirt Can Cause this.

#3 Try Tracing your Wires from where they come out of the Engine To the S Switch , and than over to the Keyswitch , try and see if you have bare spots.

#4 Try unpluging the keyswitch , try and start it manuly . Possable Faulty Keyswitch.

#5 , Replace Sparkplug CAP , yes they do Where OUT and will cause misfire or loss of fire.

#6 Try Removing your Coil Wire , and Replacing it , or cutting 1/4" of each end and rescrewing it in booth ends. Sometimes a bad wire can cause this.

#7 Drain out 1/2 your Oil from your Crankcase, and add 1/2 Quart of Deasil Fuel or stove oil or tranny Fliud and get it running , and ride it for a short time and than change your OIL , as you may have a Stuck Vaulve , and This should Loosen it. As well as get rid of any Smoke you got. or may have.

#8 burnt vaulve

#9 check oil : oil black/dirty /clear ok , oil white : water in oil , possible bace gasket . On L/C Models , Head Gasket or Water Jacket Area is the Leak.

Drain Oil , and Replace Head Gasket , and Oil Inside Give it lots!!

The Loud clunking noise is probly your Apendix Spring on your Startor , it Wont Interact with your Running Time, unless it stays Engauged , but man you would hear it.

Anyway i hope this helps fix you.
If i new where you was or was close to you , i could probly help you with it.

cheers

chris

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

what kinda spark does this put out...ive had similar probs, go over your key switch assembly(where ur key goes) make sure the pins are in ok cond. this will cause odd starting troubles, also check your run on and off button take it apart and make sure its moving freely and that its not in a half on half off kinda situation, member to use WD-40 to clean electrical crap and use dialectric grease, the stuff will do wonders for preventing, water damage,corrosion,overheating and anything else, also it sounds to me that your 1 way starter clutch it acting a little weird, if your spark is a consistent good spark...i dont think it could be a stator or ign. coil, id try fiddling with wiring and moving stuff around while spinning it over to see if you can recreate the problem. and the clunking noise is somewhat normal, warriors are very noisey machines, period they have one way starter clutches which will make slapping,knocking noises when you shutoff and other crap, and they have large tappets on the rockers which make alotta noise to when they slap against the valves

Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

Ok here it goes, all the ideas above are great ones to check. Here is what happened to me. In April it would start right up and run great until it copped an attitude and then it would miss, more so on the top end. Over the next three months it continuously got worst and finally in September it would not start at all. It sounds so much like the original post except they didn't mention that it would miss once in a while. My problem ended up being the coil and that is it. Put a new coil on and the problem was gone. You will have to let us all know what you come up with, this is one to write in the books for further reference.

Quick Reply: Anyone who know's what their talking about, Please!