Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ Battery

So I've been going through a battery a year. They get to where I'll be out and bam! Won't turn engine over. I can charge it and it may last a day but, a day is it. I'm using a wal-mart purchased batter on a '04 yfz.

I've read that they had issues with burning up the batterys because of a flaw in the charging system. I found a website that shows a mod of cutting the battery box to fit a larger battery.

Has anyone done this? Should I try it or should I go buy a non-walmart battery to try?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

Where do you guys get your batteries? What brand are they?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ Battery

I wouldn't get it from walmart, try autozone. Otherwise get one from your dealer and see how long it lasts, you might be suprised.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ Battery

I don't use anything but Yuasa batteries. Original equipment batteries last a lot longer than any aftermarket battery that I've ever seen.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

If you got the EVERSTART from walmart it shouldnt be it. You just need to run with the lights on or put one of the aftermarket staotrs in it from some where like rickystator.com or somewhere. google it.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ATV24/7

If you got the EVERSTART from walmart it shouldnt be it. You just need to run with the lights on or put one of the aftermarket staotrs in it from some where like rickystator.com or somewhere. google it.</end quote></div>

What I don't get is that the issue I've heard is that the charging system is supplying too much power so, as you said running with the lights on is a fix (I'm not doing that. I rather fix the problem. ) but, how is an aftermarket stator supplying even more power going to help? Is it that the stock one just can't allocate the power properly and sends to much juice to the batter?

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

O, wow apparently rickystator states on the webpage that it fixes the faulty charging system. Lil' steep at $150 bucks. Means I'm gonna catch hell from my Honda lovin' bro for putting more money into it. O' well. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

Koop, have you checked over at yfzcentral? (I'm sure they'd know exactly what ya need. I just haven't seen it in a few years now, that I have forgotten if it was a stator problem, or somethin else.) I've lucked out with my 04... I'm still running the same battery and I've gone a couple months w/out starting it when I've had to go over seas... It sounds like yer workin towards replacin the problem instead of just patchin it... good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

Ya, Hebs I've checked yfzcentral out. Thanks for the suggestion. They guy I bought it from had been chasing the problem. I found that he has replaced the stator at some point. Probably put a stock one back in it. I'm glad you havn't had any probs. It's not a big deal but, I just hate hearing it from the Honda guys. : /

I've also been hit with the other manufacturer flaw. Decompression plug popped out about 6 months ago. :\ If you havn't had that happen I would replace it before it does. Nobody warned me.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Battery

then dont say anything to any of the honda guys lol. every bike/atv/water craft/car/snomobile is going to need repair at some point during its life cycle. id stay mum about it if you want to hear any lip. either that or tell them to kiss your honda hating **** =)

Quick Reply: YFZ Battery