Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR PLASTICS SCRATCHED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAPTOR PLASTICS SCRATCHED HELP!!

i just bought a raptor 660 and the person before me flipped it and scratched the **** out of the plastics some are bad some are decent scratches.. wat could or should i use to get them gone and to a ok finish?? plactic renew?? and suggestions... heres some pics vvvvvvv

http://i36.tinypic.com/2vwslso.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/1z8awi.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/nlo50p.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2rw7s61.jpg

Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

that sucks, im not sure if youll find anything to remove that much scratch damage, you could sand it down and re-paint it yourself but that is and or would be a pain. What i would suggest if it bothers you that much find some used plastics off of fleabay. Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

who cares if it has scratches all over it? unless your entering it in a contest for best of show, i would not worry about it. god knows when i am tear assing in the woods, my plastic is the last thing on my mind. if it gets scratched, thats a battle scar as far as i am concerned.

now, having stated my opinion, here is what you can do. do what mechanicock suggested and sand it down and get some plastics paint (krylon) and try your hand at that. that seems like it is going to be tedious work with those deep scars in the plastic. if you have the cash, i would search on fleabay for some replacement plastic to be honest.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

has anyone tried doing this? I am also tempted to paint my plastic. Not so much for the scratches but more for the stress marks

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't ever paint plastics on an ATV it's just going to flake off. I suggest taking a razor blade and pass it over your plastics to get rid of the scuffs as much as you can. then use XL1000 or new bike in a can. it would look a lot better but you'd have to shine it ever time you ride and put it away. Some people don't care about taking care of their machines but it's those people's ATV's that you see selling for parts because they dont clean their bike. any ways good to see you taking pried in you machine..................

GO BIG OR GO HOME.............................................. ............

Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I don't think painting is a very wise choice if you will be doing a lot of harsh trail riding. It might look good for a while, but later it will look worse. Paint was not designed to flex as much as the fenders do, even with the flex additive. There is nothing I have ever seen that will get scratches that deep out, but Plastic Renew will remove the smaller scratches and shine the fenders back up, but it is labor intensive and time consuming to do it right.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

maybe try melting away the scratches
have some other blue colored plastic next to you and kind of sotter fill the scratches
or cant you buy a whole new plastic set ? for like 200

Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

Who cares!!! Its an ATV!!! If you have one that is more than 6 months old and it doesnt have scratches then you are not riding it. Or not riding it like it should be......

But, if you really want to get those scratches out. I have the perfect thing to use. Works everytime guarenteed.

Use your VISA card and order new ones.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I realize most people do not care about scratches and etc, but I like my stuff to look as new as possible. I hate the beat up look. I am the kind of guy who really takes pride. I have a 1970 camaro that looks like it would when it was new. Well if they used more modern parts. I like nice and clean, not old and beat up. Yeah I understand you can buy new plastic, but when I look, I do not see any for ~200 more like $900. Well anyways, thanks for your feedback and you are prob right, I will not paint my plastic.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you could sand it in stages from course to a fine wet sand and they buff it to a shine.

Recomend you try this first on a test piece to make sure your polishing compund and technique is on

Quick Reply: RAPTOR PLASTICS SCRATCHED HELP!!