Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bear Tracker backfiring and glowing red

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear Tracker backfiring and glowing red

Ok, I'll just fess up right now, I am a female and lost at this ATV stuff.... I am at the mercy of yall... We have two bear trackers and we went to start one the other night (it has been sitting for a couple of months) and it wouldn't turn over. We took the battery off the other one and put it on that one... it started up fine. I couldn't take if off choke though because it would die. Then while revving it up it started backfiring.... we got a new spark plug for it and put it in last night cranked it up and it was the same thing but this time we noticed the exhaust at the bend was glowing red. Now, I have read some old posts on here and got all sorts of conflicting information... We did put some destabilizer in the gas tank and replaced the spark plug. It sounds like maybe we need to clean the carb? Do you know of a site with pictures and details on how to do that? We are leaving town in a couple of days for a ride and no time to take it to the shop.... we are trying to learn to fix things on our own without running it to the shop every time we turn around... Any help is appreciated... sorry for the long post...us women gab and tend to give too many details!!!
Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

the pipe should never be red hot and glow !
does this have a rev limiter on it?
is the exhaust pipe clear no back ups?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

to me it sounds like a clogged jet causing a lean mixture i would personaly clean the carburator, it could be stale gas, try draining the gas first and putting fresh gas in it .. that and check for any kind of mud nest in the muffler