Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

600 Grizzly starting and overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 Grizzly starting and overheating problems

I'm having a problem with my 2000 Grizzly 600. When I turn the key on, the red Oil Light comes on and stays on. When I push the electric start, nothing happens. When I try to use the pull starter, one of the relays on the back of the ATV clicks while I pull the starter. It's one of the 2 white relays (fiche 29U-81950-93-00). Do you think if I replaced one (if I can figure out which one) or both of them I will be good to go?

Another problem I'm having is the Grizzly overheating. I took it in for full service last week and went out riding with it a couple days later. I rode it easy for about 20 minutes then the oil temp light came on and the things started losing power. I shut the atv down, turned the key back on so the fan would be on, and waited until the light went off and tried riding again. Same problem. Fan is working just fine (I think. Sometimes when I turn the quad off then back on to run the fan it won't come on), it was only about 60 degrees out. Radiator is clean front and back, plenty of oil. It did this every once in awhile before the service too, so I don't think anything they did affected it. Any suggestions there?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I replaced the 2 relays and now the starter will work. But it turns really slow and ever revolution of the starter there's a huge metal-on-metal 'slapping' noise. Any suggestions besides never buying a yamaha again?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: uncleben03

Ok, I replaced the 2 relays and now the starter will work. But it turns really slow and ever revolution of the starter there's a huge metal-on-metal 'slapping' noise. Any suggestions besides never buying a yamaha again?</end quote></div>

Sounds like you might have toasted the engine... or threw a bearing... overheating the quad is never a good thing to do... Sounds like you overheated it a few times that day... the first time it shut down -- I would have stopped riding it and gotten a tow back to truck.. worse case you should have turned around right then... you probably did some damage to the internals of the engine...

Yamaha makes a reliable machine IF properly maintained....

So did you buy it new back 8 years ago? Did you maintain it well, ya know Regular oil changes etc? How old is the battery? Sounds like yours maybe done...

Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CraZySteve

Sounds like you might have toasted the engine... or threw a bearing... overheating the quad is never a good thing to do... Sounds like you overheated it a few times that day... the first time it shut down -- I would have stopped riding it and gotten a tow back to truck.. worse case you should have turned around right then... you probably did some damage to the internals of the engine...

Yamaha makes a reliable machine IF properly maintained....

So did you buy it new back 8 years ago? Did you maintain it well, ya know Regular oil changes etc? How old is the battery? Sounds like yours maybe done...</end quote></div>

We bought it used, but it was well maintained throughout the ownership of me and the previous owner. Battery is about 2 years old.