Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

frame painting

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame painting

i wanna paint my frame so what kind of paint should i use?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default frame painting

For durability, powdercoat would be best, automotive paint would be next best, rattle-can paint would be the worst. I have seen some good automotive paint hold up well on frames.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

i was kind of looking into this too. how much to powdercoat my frame yellow?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default frame painting

powder coating is NOT cheap........ and you take a chance when doing it to your frame in that if you ever have to weld it you are SOL.............

With proper painting techniques, and high quality paint, you can give your frame a nearly as durable finish as powder coating....of course not as great but pretty close for a lot cheaper......

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

what about car paint? ..the guy that painted the plastic on my trailblazer is a car painter, would it hold up really good? just use a lot of clearcoat?

anything else? im thinking if i get that warrior..have a yellow frame.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default frame painting

hi everyone when i use to race cars i allways powder coated my cages and parts with the powder coat system from harbor freight and it worked really well key to getting it to stick is prep clean an use wax and grease remover to remove all of the dirt and stuff off of it and make sure u tape up all nut and screw holes when you get ready to spray it here is a link
http://search.harborfreight.co...do?keyword=powder+coat

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 4strokemurder

what about car paint? ..the guy that painted the plastic on my trailblazer is a car painter, would it hold up really good? just use a lot of clearcoat?

anything else? im thinking if i get that warrior..have a yellow frame.</end quote></div>

Car paint would be OK. There is a place locally that powdercoats 4 wheeler frames for about $150. That's about as cheap as you will find. You could do some research and possibly find a place close to you that will does yours for a good price.

Not sure about what ss97 meant about having to weld after powdercoating. If you do have to weld, you just grind the powdercoat off and weld it, and then you can have it re-powdercoated or just spray paint the weld. But how often do you weld on a frame, especially a Warrior frame?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

yeah..i think that it would look sick, because ill prob paint the plastics on this one like all black and then use a really bright accent color..
not sure which yet. maybe like a lightning blue kinda color.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

Black may not be the best fender color choice if you do aggressive trail riding. Black looks great when it's clean and/or new, but it looks BAD once it starts getting scratched up. I had a black CR250, a black Raptor 660, and a black Honda Accord, and after owning those 3, I'll never own ANY black motor vehicle again. They drove me crazy trying to keep them looking good - especially that damn 660. I bought it new and it looked horrible after about 4 rides. That's why I have a white quad now - fenders are scratched up and you can't even tell.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default frame painting

im gonna start a thread on this..sorry for going OT man.

Quick Reply: frame painting