Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cant throttle up with clutch pulled

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant throttle up with clutch pulled

i have a 98 yamaha warrior. When I pull the clutch in I can't get my bike to give me any throttle. For example if I have the clutch pulled in and I push the throttle to rev the engine it just stalls out or back fires through the tail pipe. If I let the clutch out almost all the way about 95% I can then give it throttle. I think this is an electrical problem.

Which brings me to my next question. Can you remove all the electrical componets from the bike and it still run. I meen I can wire a switch for the head lights but, I dont see any wiring for the engine except the spark plug. So in theory I should be able to remove all of this stuff right?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

What about in gear and riding? Does it run ok?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Probably the parking brake sensors mounted on the clutch perch are bad. Best thing to do is to bypass that JUNK.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea it runs fine when i ride it, i just have to let off the fuel shift and then let off the clutch and then give it gas. which is what i should do anyway, but when your ripping through gears racing down a path it slows you down not being able to throttle up as you are letting go of the clutch.

I will try to bypass the senosors any idea how I might do this. You said they are on the cluthc handle. I tried disconecting the to electrical wires running into the clutch but that just stops me from being able to use my throttle all together. should i take apart the clutch handle housing and jump it in there?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

There should be 2 sensors, my Warrior had 2 black wires going to each sensor. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but seems like I cut the wires off of the sensors and the 2 wires from 1 sensor had to be tied together permanently (closed circuit) and the 2 wires from the other sensor had to be loose from each other permanently (open circuit). I just tried different combinations until I got it right, you got a 50/50 chance to get it right the 1st try. Heat-shrink butt splices work the best for a water-tight seal when joining or capping off the 2 wires, you can get them from any auto parts store.