Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pros and Cons of DS and Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone who's been around this forum for awhile recap the Pros and Cons between the DS650 and Raptor? I'd like to know what kind of riding each one is suited best for also. Thanks!!

Drekkyk

Old 02-08-2001, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Now you've done it, Drekkyk!

You've just thrown a slab of raw meat into the alligator pit!

You've just shaken up a jar full of scropions.

Wonder if they'll fight?

They'll fight!

Diogenes

Old 02-08-2001, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

A very short one....

Raptor - A very agressive trailing machine. Seems that from the Factory very restricted. Great power and handling. If your a back woods man this is the machine for you. Aftermarket still playing catch up on mods for this Atv

DS650 - Equally agressive duning machine. Never Rode one but I've heard that the machine is heavy and Big. Not very good atv for the woods, more of a wide open space atv. Since this Atv has been out for a while has a lot of mods out.

Old 02-09-2001, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

All I can say is that right after I put half down (cash) on the Raptor I came to all these atv boards and thought oh sh*t I made a mistake in buying the raptor. Then after riding it and being new to the sport and not knowing how to really ride. It felt scary and fast at the same time. Then these honda guy made the 400ex sound like it practically drove itself. But after riding this thing for over a month now, I think alot came from not knowing how to ride. Because with everyday passing I'm jumping higher and wheeling longer. As for the DS650 I think it was manily made for the sand and wide open places. But if you think about it it seems like people with the raptor is making it more like the DS650 in away.

2fast

Old 02-09-2001, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Ericsraptor said it best, but my ds does fine in the woods. I will admit that I have to watch out closer to my front tire and get off more(no reverse.) But that is made up for by taking off and turning faster w/o going over or rolling. Both awsome machines, top of the line --- FOR NOW!

Old 02-10-2001, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

You learn the width of the ds and it is a fine woods machine. The raptor sounds like one bad *** toy also. I like the width of my ds, and the weight when it comes to the whooped out sections...it keeps the ds on the ground where its suppose to be, and the suspension soaks ANYTHING you can throw at it up. The ds may be a Heavy, but are you actully CARRYING it? NO your not. The only time you notice it is when trying to fling it around in the air...its more of a steady eddy of the 2 machines. Very smooth. Its a good jumper for its size and you would be able to jump further w/out bottoming out the shocks on the ds. Raptor sounds good and the guys that posted before me basicaly brought out the strong points in that machine. The ds in 00' did have its share of problems, but it sounds like the 01' ds's are much less **** to the problems. The problems are minor and are covered under warrenty. The raptor has had its share of probs to...

00ds

Old 02-10-2001, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I currently own a old warrior, it was a great bike but it's time to upgrade; so I've been doing all the normal reading and had the chance to really check out the raptor vs. 400ex. I live in Connecticut so most of my riding is in the woods so the heave DS didn't really appeal to me, so it was between the raptor and 400ex.
I have put about 2-3 hours on both of them within a week of each other so i remembered the "feel" very well. For my style there was no question that the 400ex was made for me. Now before you get your panties in a bunch, I'm not bashing the raptor at all it's an awsome machine, but it's biggest plus for me was reverse. Unfortunately reverse is geared so high on the thing that it was useless anyway.
The 400 just felt a whole lot more stable and the power felt usable at any point in the.

No question the raptor is faster in a drag race, but in the trails it's 95% rider and 5% machine.

one man's opinion.

Old 02-14-2001, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

This was the best classiest post about a comparison of these two machines. Its always funny to see people bash one another. My thought on this is " if it is better and faster then hell let's go buy it" for me the lord has been good enough to me to allow me to have a great paying job that allows me to have options. In short, its not can you "run" with the big boys its can you "afford" to run with them.

Nice posts fellas - ride hard - rubber side down!!

Old 02-14-2001, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Deogey

You wrote the 400 ex was better suited for your needs.

What about desert riding? Riding in open spaces, desert trails?

Old 02-14-2001, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've never ridden in the dunes or desert so i can't really give you an honest answer, i think i'd still stick with the 400ex...it was just a very impressive 'total package'.

remember it's all riding...and it's all fun!!!!

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of DS and Raptor