Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear Exhaust Question-- Too Loud!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear Exhaust Question-- Too Loud!

I need some help from you guys with more experience. I've just purchased an '02 Big Bear 400 4wd. It is all stock, but I would like to make it quieter, and I'm not sure which route to go.

My first question is, do the factory mufflers "lose" some of their silencing ability as they get older? I didn't know if they had some absorbing materials in them that erode as they are used.... If not, then I don't want to waste the money on buying a new factory muffler...it won't help me any.

Second question.....If a new factory muffler isn't going to be any quieter....what muffler is the quietest? I am just a trail rider, and am not concerned about maximum power....getting older and just don't care about that anymore! I just want it quiet.

I'm hoping to find a muffler to go in the stock location to do what I want to do....I don't want to add one of the "Benz" style mufflers if I don't have to...don't want a hot muffler across the back if I can help it.....

I'm not afraid of fabricating something if someone knows of a silencer off of another machine that works really well....I have a machine shop, tig welder, etc. and have fabricated exhaust systems for race engines.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Jeff

Old 02-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear Exhaust Question-- Too Loud!

overtime mufflers lose there exhaust packing and will get louder, unfortunately you cant perform any maintenance of factory pipes usually, i know some hunting companies sell exhaust add ons to make the bike hush down alot, i think cabelas might have one, check this out and see if this is what you looking for i think stealth is a universal exhaust to keep your bike quiet. http://www.mosquitocreek.com/products.asp?dept=314