Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to do to keep you quad from getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put some big lag bolts into the garage floor with a steel plate (the lags, hardware, and steel plate are welded together) then i use a couple of cobalt cables and padlocks to keep my quads safe. like anything though if they really want them they'll get them.

Old 02-09-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard of people removing the handlebars to prevent theft, though kind of a hassle... Me I just use a big chain and a couple master locks.. thick chain really isnt that easy to cut, if you have ever tried you'll understand, my buddie had a piece stuck to his trailer hitch and we could NOT cut it with the bolt cutters we had to grind it off. But basically if they are going to steal it they are going to steal it nothing you can do, you can try but if they really want it they'll get it, your best bet would be some kind of alarm for your garage and a big chain loop all three together, they'll have a h#ll of a time moving all three at once!

Old 02-09-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

then chain them seperately so that if they do cut the chains they have to cut the other ones also(if they want all three)

Old 02-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Go to www . kryptonite . com. They have some awesome chains and locks. I picked mine up at a local Lowes and cemented a big lag bolt into the floor (with a lotta cement buildup around it and in the corner to prevent easy cutting). Everyone else's recommendations are good also and I use some of those. I assume you have insurance, if not...better get it.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

Get A Big *** Dog name it Butch and teach it to SICK *****!

Old 02-09-2001, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

"Just get good insurance, A new machine is always nice..." No seriously, chain it, alarm with motion detector, cameras (outside so they can see them) and 2 big dogs!! and plenty of light.
If that doesn't work, try some TNT! just think, a
couple of new quads and a garage and NO more thiefs!

Peace im out...

Old 02-09-2001, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your quad is stolen from your garage, I believe most homeowner's insurance policies would cover it.

Old 02-09-2001, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

First if your insurance doesnt know you have it and it gets stolen its not covered. Second put a large pad lock on the rear brake rotors third chain them together through the frame, not bumpers. Fourth I have a chain that is in the concrete floor that comes out in 2 places, I chain these through the A-arms and lock them. Also I have a dog that sleeps on her doggie bed right between the quads. If all else fails sling some lead next time you hear em.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

You mean you guys actually sleep in the bedroom¿? I find the seat on my raptor gets softer the more I sleep on it.

Old 02-10-2001, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Howdy...I read all the posts on your topic and the one that is the best wasn't even mentioned....I simply remove the CDI and throw a chain and lock around the frame and a unmoveable object...todays modern thief considers a hardened chain to be a joke or a hardened lock also...there using cordless skilsaws with fibre blades that will cut either one of those in 30 seconds and hardly make a sound...if they don't use a cordless saw there using those portable oxy/propane cutting torches...removing the CDI sure stops it from going to far and it's takes five minutes to put it back on or take it off...hope that helps you sleep nights?
BB

Quick Reply: What to do to keep you quad from getting stolen