Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior 350

Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior 350

Ok don't flame me for asking these questions.

I've tried to talk to hotcams about they're stage 2 cams for the warrior and they dont seem to have the answers!!!!
What I have is a 1999 warrior 350 with a R-4 white brothers full exhaust, Uni-filter cut top of air box open and jetted the carb to a 150 main jet... Bike runs good and have no problems..

What I want to do to get some more power out of it.. I'm going to put in a wiesco 83.5mm 10.25:1 piston and new bored cyclinder. I want to put in a cam!!!!! I know the webcams 84 grind .430 lift will probley make a little more power... But I'm looking at the hotcams stage 2 with .390 lift as it's a drop in no spring changes... I'm on a budget so a hotcams stage 2 for $148.99 sounds better than $240.00..
Anyway hotcams can't tell me if I can use the wiesco piston with ther're cam, I know the webcams .430 you can. Anybody try this combo???? Will I get in the upper 28 hp range with the hotcams??? I just don't have the extra money to do the webcam...

So the question is will the hotcams work with the wiesco piston and give me more power or am I just wasting money on the hotcams for nothing in return for anymore hp?????????? I already have the piston and extra cylinder ready to go. I hate to take out the cam and send it off and wait for the return... Hotcams is a just order and put in a go.... I just can't find any real good info on if this would be a great combo!!!!!

Hotcams wants to sell you the big bore and crank kit for it!!!!

Will I be happy with this cam?????

Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior 350

I really don't like the hotcams cams in warriors. Yes, they are cheaper than a good one like a Webcam or Megacycle because they "work" with the stock springs, but in my opinion the stock springs are too weak for the stock cam.

The performance really isn't near what a better cam would be either, the difference isn't only the amount of lift. Actually, the more important aspect of the cams is the steepness of the ramps, duration of the valves being open, and the overlap. Hotcams makes their cams compatible with the stock springs by making the ramps more smooth and gradual, which means less time that the valves are fully open, and less power gain. You're better off spending the extra $100 and getting a better cam in my opinion.

For the piston, I would suggest a JE 11:1 over the wiseco 10.25. You're talking probably twice the power gain over stock, and it'll still run on pump gas. Once again, a little more pricey, but a better product that will give you more power.

In my honest opinion though, after owning a warrior and throwing over $4,000 in aftermarket parts at it, it's just not worth modding a warrior much. It really was a waste of my money. I loved the warrior when I owned it, but I never realized how bad I wasted my money until I bought my 700. I could have walked out with a brand new 700 paid in cash for what I spent on a used warrior with enough parts to make it equal to a stock z400... i want my damn money back. The warrior wasn't even remotely close to a stock 450 or 700, even with all the mods it felt like a golf cart in comparison.

So seriously, my advice to you is ride the warrior and enjoy it for what it is, and keep your money in your pocket for things that are more worthwhile. The best money I spent on my warrior was on good tires and skid plates, and an aftermarket exhaust and intake. Everything past that cost more than what it was worth to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior 350

Like I said, I already have the wiesco piston 84.5mm and and an extra cylinder done, waiting to put on!!!! The other stuff in my sig is already also done....

I'm looking to add a cam when I put the new piston and jug on!!!!!! So it still stands as this... Is a hotcams stage 2 going to add any real power gains and will it work with the wiesco piston???? I cant find anybody that knows!!!! Dealers only tell me what hotcams website says.. I called them and they told me they only tested it with stock piston and the dyno chart says that.. The big bore and stroker kit they sell comes with just a flat top piston..

So should I just use the stock cam when I change out the piston And Cylinder or try hotcams???
Already have the piston and cylinder done so the JE piston is out the door.. I don't want to take the cam out and send it in to be done...

So my take is this::: The hotcams must not be any better than the stock cam..
So I should just stay with stock cam because I don't want to put in an extra $250.00 for cam, spings and labor to change it out..

I was just trying to get some extra power out of my old warrior for the cost of the hotcams stage 2 for the $130.00 I could get it at..... I guess it not much better than stock... I got the piston and cylinder from a buddy and it was all new.. Just thought I could spring the 130 for a cam...

Thanks
Jerry

Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior 350

I'm not sure what you're worried about... yes, the cam will work with the piston, why wouldn't it? Any cam will work with any piston on a warrior, we're not talking about a high tech piece of equipment.

And I didn't say that the hotcam isn't better than stock, it is, but only about half as much as a web, megacycle, fst, etc. I personally wouldn't use one in my own machine though because I don't like the idea of a hotter cam with stock springs, it'll limit how high you can rev it, the valves will probably float at about 9,000 rpm. I wouldn't put one in my own machine, i'd keep the money in my pocket until I had the money to spend on a better, more reliable setup. It's all up to you. Some guys are real happy with hotcams, others swap it out with a different one a month later because they're not satisfied with it.

And why are you set on the stage 2 cam? The power gain is no better than the stage 1, the lift is no higher than the stage 1, the only difference is where the power gain is at. The stage 1 spreads the gain out more with a low-mid focus, and the stage 2 is a smaller spectrum in the mid-high with a small loss of low end power. It almost doesn't make sense to focus your power in the high end while at the same time limiting how high you can rev the engine because the springs can't handle the high rpm's.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior 350

Ok This is the kind of info I wanted to know!!!!!!

So If I got the webcams 88mc which has the same lift as the hotcams stage 1 could I not use the same stock springs... I mean If I.m paying a 100.00 more will I really see anymore real hp between the web and the hot cam???? I really don't think I'm really going to be revving my warrior out that high!! At least not after 4th gear!!! The added wear and tear on the valve train and engine not worth the little extra hp on topend... So would the mild webcam 88mc or the stage 1 hotcam give me the 28ish hp on a warrior?????

The Raptor 350 is the same engine but they must of changed the cams lift and duration some to get a little more out of it!!!

I'd be happy with a few more ponies up top till about 8000-9000 redline.. (rpms)

I just want to get the most I can for less than $200.00 and still Have a reliable good working machine!!!! I'm not going to do any dune riding Just trails and hills logging roads.....
It would be fun to keep up with the stock 400s though!!!! But I'd just be better off getting a 450yfz or rappy 660 for $3000.00ish..

Thanks for the great info!!!!!!!! I'm not going to put a bunch of money into the warrior..... I was looking at the cams as the last thing to do to it...
Stage 1 & 2 hotcams same price just wanted the most usable power (bang) for my bucks!!!! Webcams same thing 88mc & 84 same price..... More power!!!!!!!!
I just don't want it only at 6500 rpm's and above cause I'm not that type of rider!! I'm sure the warrior will complain if revv it up that high all day somethings going to break!!!!!! I'd buy a 450yfz if I need that 9000+ rpm!!! I'm to old to do that kind of riding... It's going to hurt when you fall off... 47 years young..
I have a 71 trans am sporting 500+ hp out a 455cid to get that extreme rush!!!!!

So the question is will the stage 1 cam give me any real increase in hp over the stock cam???? Web cam 88mc any real increase over the stage 1??????
I talked to webcams and Them and Me seem to think hotcams stage 1 copied the webcam 88mc grind..... Hotcams only give you the duration at 1mm (.040) 88 grind is at .050.. This way you could not really say they copied it.. Cleaver aint it?? 247 duration 88mc 108 lobe centers. stage 1 250 duration 107 lobe centers
Stock is 240 duration 108 lobe centers .341 lift.. So the mild cams are 7-10 degrees more and .050 more lift... So will the 88mc cam make more power or is it because you replace the springs and reduce valve float to realy gain the difference in power??????? How about better springs on the stock cam give anymore power on top rpms?????

I bet this is why the warrior engine has been so reliable because they force you to keep the rev's down to keep the motor going for a long long time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for all the long questionss though!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks You have given me some good advice!!!! I look for anymore idea's you may have on the cam questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior 350

Sure, the stage 1 hotcam is probably good for 2 horsepower between 3-6000 rpm, after that it'll start to fall off though. I bet you'd be looking at around a 4 hp gain with a web, if you look at the profiles of each cam the webcam's ramp profile is drastically sharper than the hotcam. I'm sure the fact that the valves begin to float at the high rpms with the stock springs would start to hurt the power before you actually feel and hear the valves floating badly enough that it starts slowing down.

I'm not sure about hotcams copying the webcam 88 design, it sounds like you've been studying the specific numbers better than I have though, it's possible i guess.

I can't say for sure how much of a gain it is, I had my head ported at the same time as I got the megacyle .430 in mine, but I loved the way that cam woke up the warrior. It made it a completely different machine. I rode about 70% trails at the time, and it still had more bottom end grunt than stock, but pulled way better on top than you'd expect one of these tractor engines to do from a change so simple. You'd be surprised how well these things can handle the high rpm's reliably, I know I hit over 10,500 rpms with mine on the stock crank and rod and it never skipped a beat. I really beat mine hard and the engine was the most reliable part about the warrior, I managed to break everything else but not a single engine problem in 4 years of harsh riding. Yamaha must have known how tough the design was to not even have a rev limiter on it at all, and just let the valve float act as sort of a mechanical rev limiter.

I tell you what man, I belong to an all-yfm350 forum with huge amounts of info on all the different cams you can get, go to yfm350.proboards31.com if you want to get some more help, we have a few members that know the specifics much better than I do.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warrior 350

Lots of info,I was thinking of going with the same piston and cam for my 01 Warrior but I couldnt decide if it was worth the gains.I have an FMF pipe,K&N
filter and jetted with the air box lid modded.I'm happy with how it performs
but.....Most of my riding is on forestry roads running from mid to topend,would
these mods give me a noticeable differance or would'nt it be worth it in your opinion?
What about upgrading the clutch to a Barrnett ,pros/cons?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Warrior 350

You can use that cam with that piston. If you want to get the absolute most power out of your engine, the Webcam would be better, but the Hotcam should give you a noticeable gain in power for less money. I'm a Webcam man myself, I think it would be worth the extra money to get the Webcam. The .430 Webcam really wakes the Warrior motor up and lets it rev higher.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior 350

Ok I got a webcams 17-88mc .440int-.395 exhaust cam new springs..

2)Questions where to start with main jets.. And How much bottom end will I loose and how much topend will I gain????????

99 warrior with new wiesco 83.5 piston, and said cam to be installed.. White Brothers E- series full exhaust, and uni-filter with air box modds.. It has a 150mj now and runs great.... The cam and piston to be installed at the same time.... I know I'm going to have a soft bottom end and a High top end... I just need to know where this cams going to hit at and how much!!!!! I have 14-40 grear in it now with 22"s on the back..

Jetting maybe in the range 155mj and a 47.5 piliot????????

Help me get in the ballpart and let me know what I'm in for!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will this warrior be wicked???? or just a slugg???????????
I posted in the warrior forum and got no answers.......... maybe I'm a nobody and thats why i cant get an answer!!!!!
I kown theirs a cam topic about how they peform but Icant locate it or it was deleted since last nite!!!!!!!!
Give me the link or let me know on how this cams going to work
Jerry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior 350

ive put a halt on my warrior for performance parts, im prolly gonna start riding dirtbikes again or sell this for a banshee, mine does fine though i can keep up with 400s and such with no problem in the trails, the way mine is setup it has nice low end power i can give it a little throttle while in a normal seated position and it will raise up on me pretty quick, i was gonna get a few more aftermarket parts for it but i stoped myself lol, last thing im going to get is a new stator from RM or Rickys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warrior 350