Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To race or not to race?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To race or not to race?

So about a year ago I got a yamaha blaster stock and I bought a fmf pipe for it as well as spent hours into making it look better by painting rims, buying new visual only parts, just various things that I put alot of time into to make it look professionally done. I ride every day I can, over the years where I live alot of people have made trails which I beef up by adding jumps around variously, and on the weekends I travel hours to go to a track, Now im only 16 and I ride a 200cc 2 stoke yamaha blaster like I said with only a fmf pipe upgrade. I really really want to get into racing and my parents want to see me race too because they know that I kick *** at riding and because they know I love to do it but I dont have ANY money. Im broke as hell and no one will hire me. To get a race ready quad its going to cost probably over 5Gs
and I only invested about 1200 into my blaster, bought it for 900 spent 150 on pipe and then just visuals.

What I really want is for someone to tell me racing isn't all that great or tell me what I need to do to get into it, Like I said i dont have money for anything, my moms a realtor and well you know the economy right now especially for realtors. If anyone has any helpful information on what I should either do with my blaster or I should just forget about racing in my current situation or what just please help me out in any way possible.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing is expensive, winning is VERY expensive. If you're content with taking part then I'm sure you can manage, but if you won't be able to live with not being on top of the podium you will want to wait until you're old enough to make your own money and put forth enough of it to be competitive.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

what do you mean winning is VERY expensive? How would be winning make a bigger difference, because my bike would have to be CRAZY?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

No, I think what maddog is talking about is everything that goes along with it. It is having the spare motor in the hauler that you can switch between motos. Top of the line parts all the way through and then yes if you have a talent you maybe able to win all the time. Remember you can be fast by your self but get it, in the middle of 14 quads at a start gate and race to the first half width corner. Remember the movie Days of Thunder, when Rowdy told Cole that he was fast now lets see what you do in a crowd.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

What you need is good Shocks that dont fade and can handle a 30 minute moto at full throttle never letting off with about 10 other guys doing the same thing;

To get starting racing you need to find out what the track requires to to have, More than likely they will require you to have safety wired every nut and bolt on your quad, this takes about 20 hours to do, they will require a signed release form from your parents and about 40 bucks in order for you race in a weekend, Dont show up thinking your gonna be Roger Decoster or some fancy pants racer cause they will eat you up and spit you out, The most important thing for you is machine preperation, If your broke,you can get by with revalved shocks and safety wire, good helment and Chest protector and good boots , Walamrt 20 dollar work boots will work t shirt and jean, You dont ned all that fancy stuf to start out, Get a job sweeping floors for cheap at a motorcycle shop start mowing grass, Winning isnt everything and to Win my boy you have to first finish, if your not prepared and your machine doesnt work good then you cant win, And odds are you wont win for along time, So next time your out riding and you want to race try riding at full throttle in top gear for 10 minutes and if you can pull that off then you might want to go racing.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many different kinds of racing these days, and so many races all over the place, I see no reason why you cannot race your Blaster as is. Why not just go to a local Hare Scramble or something, and see how you do? It all comes down to where you want to go from here. Do you want to race for fun? Or do you want to race to compete and excel and maybe turn professional?

You may not have the cash to race Motocross, but you can probably get by racing Cross Country or a WORCS type race. The key is getting out there and doing it, no matter what you have. As the old saying goes "run what ya brung" which means just that. You can race whatever the heck you got. I've seen 50 year old guys racing 1998 Warriors, I've seen guys racing 250cc machines who are big enough that they should be on a 700......

If you are good, you will do well, and you will get noticed. And if you are better than good people will notice. Be as professional as you can, show up with a clean bike and put out a hard working vibe and people will notice you. Act like there is someone at every race that might help you in the future. You just never know who might be friends with people from local shops who are looking for racers to sponsor. What you need to do it build a racing resume, no matter how small to start with. The more you race the more things you will have to put on that resume. And after a few races you start looking for sponsors to send it to. You visit the websites of gear companies, and parts companies and you look for the link about sponsorship. You go around to all the local dealers you can find, and you hand out your resume to the owners or managers.

You seem like a pretty smart kid, so you probably won't have any problems talking with people and making your case for sponsorship. Of course you don't beg for it, if you are good enough and get some good results in a race or two, it will happen. Finding a job of course will help, but I know it is easier said than done right now with this economy.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Decide if thats really what you want to do. If it is, dont let anything stop you from doing it. Cut grass, fix friends quads, wash cars, anything you can do to make a buck.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ricky parker is wrong you will blow your 2 stroke up by using full throttle all the time. Im sure you have hare scramble races which are in the woods. They are fun and you compete with plenty of people that race stock... You dont earn money but get a plaque maybe it would be a good start