Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2007 wolverine war story

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 wolverine war story

Just thought id post a horror story that ended good.

I have a 2007 wolverine 450 I was riding with my father inlaw and we came up on a creek.... Well instead of finding a different way around we decided to take it slow across and if it became to deep we would back out. I went first and was doing fine (the creek crossing was about 40 feet) when all of the sudden the creek bed disapeared and down my front end went b4 I could correct it. I tried jumping off my bike before my airbox went under but I reacted to slow and down my bike went ALL OF IT! and then it re-appeared floating on its side.... not good and I was now standing in water that was up to my chest. Well of course water went in every little spot it could including the carb and down into the cylinder. I thought for sure my bike was history and I now got a $5K dollar paper weight. Not the case though, with my father inlaws bike we towed mine back to my house where the work began. We first picked the front end of the bike up and let all the water drain out from wherever it was at, we pulled the spark plug and used wd40 and a airhose to clean that area out. We let the bike sit overnite and the next morning we drained the oil or should I say the Elmers Glue, the oil was WHITE! never seen anything like it. Well before we changed the oil we drained my gas tank and put about a 1/2 gallon of gas mixed with a bottle of dry gas. We then replaced the oil and cranked the bike over... it started!! and it idled ok but not great, this is good i was thinkin to myself. We let the engine get warm then we turned it off and drained the oil again, We changed the oil 5 times before we got all the milky glue oil outa the engine. Now when I went to actually ride it I couldnt give it any gas hardly without it wanting to cut off, thinking oh well its just the water in the carb and the dry gas will take care of that eventually which it did! the bike just all of the sudden was kickin *** again down the trail. Well we decided to go out for a ride thinking everything was good. After about 25 miles of riding I was blasting up a steep hill and the bike cut off! I started it back up and it would run but I could barely give it any gas so we had to putt back to my house. I forgot prolly the most important thing to check after we changed the oil and gas, I didnt take the bowl off my carb and see if anything had collected in the bottom of it. Well when I unscrewed the bowl the bottom was filled with mud and gunk and 2 of the 3 jets were blocked with debree. I guess when I was really straining the motor up that hill the carb sucked that **** up from the bottom of the bowl and into the jets. I cleaned the jets and the bowl and put everything back together and now my wolverine runs great again. Long story I know but I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why all of the sudden my bike started acting up again especially since I hadent even gone through a drop of water. So for all of you none mechanical guys who just like to ride and you sink your bike or suck water in through your airbox.....

Spark plug
Oil/filter Change
Drain the gas tank
Run Dry gas to displace any water
Pull bowl on the carb and clean it, and the jets out!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Also change oil in all gear boxes if the quad is a 4x4.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yikes.....

Thats the spirit, dont give up. Sounds like you'd be fun to ride with. Do think about changing your driveshaft oils.

How did you handle you airfilter? Hope there wasnt any cylinder scoring with the mud debris through the carb.