Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor 700SE - what do I need besides paddles & nerfs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor 700SE - what do I need besides paddles & nerfs?

Just picked up a 2008 Raptor 700SE a week or so ago.

It is currently bone stock.

I will be using it at the dunes. As I mostly like cat n mouse trails and some side-hilling, I'll be looking at v-paddles. I currently have straight paddles on my pred and while they are good for hill climbing, I've a had a few "moments" on the more technical stuff.

The other accessory I will be buying this week is a set of nerfs - always put them on my quads.

I'm not a very aggressive rider, just like to have fun and enough power to get me out of trouble.

Besides the paddles and nerfs, is there anything else I really need? I don't want to add a bunch of maintenance issues....

I appreciate your helpful input!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Well let me start off by saying congrats! IMO you just bought the BEST quad on the market! I am not much a dune rider as sand is very hard to find here in Co [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but the Raptor is capable of handling any terrain thrown at it and with a few mods if can be competitive at at any level of racing!

What most people do is what we call the big three which is exhaust, programmer and air filter. There are tone's of options and opinions on what to put on a Raptor but the most common are a dual exhaust system such as the Barkers setup, a PCIII (Power Commander 3) Computer/programmer and a K&N or a foam air filter You just need to do you research and go with what you choose as all systems will make a Raptor sing it just depends on if you want a Rock concert or a Opera! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL I like to be different and am looking at the Motoworks setup myself, being a mechanic I like quality stuff and am not just a trendy person and have to have what everyone else does!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you. If I go with the exhaust, I want to keep it quiet, where I like to ride, enforcement can be a booger. 96 db or 93 db depending on the area. My piped pred is too loud (course it will help if I repack it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

You know, its funny you mention racing - I did a mx season a couple of years ago riding in the over 30 class (usually the only gal!) on a bone-stock 400 ex. It was a blast and a good race is when I didn't get lapped! I occasionally mr. magoo'd my way to a decent finish when I avoided the fast-rider pile-ups! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Where would I do research on the PC3 and different exhaust? The K & N is no problem.

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am not sure on the best place to buy allot of the stuff is but the guys at ModdedRaptor.com will have alot more info to get you headed in the right direction. This is where I get most of my info as this sight has a lack of Raptor owners![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

moddedraptor.com is a great site. there is a exhaust shootout that just happend that is very good. the winners were barker, monster and dmc(the new ones) duals. i have the monsters myself on both of my 700s and love them. they are 96db but i belive u can get a quiet core if u need to be 93db. as far as intake i have the fuel customs intake. this is a great intake. they custom build there own intake tube unlike most that just use a cheesy adapter on the stock intake tube. the filter is a k&n style but its not k&n. it offer much more engine protection because they use a 8ply filter not a 3ply like the k&n. the pc3 is a great choice. but the pc5 just came out which is a little better because it offers a auto tune kit which is nice if u cant get to a dyno. but for basic mods the pc3 is more than good be cause u can find fuel maps that will work for your combos.

here is a pic of the intake and exhaust.
Name:  fci1.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  glamisthankgiving08012.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  glamisthankgiving08005-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  26.3 KB

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with bigned. Fci makes a great airfilter setup, monsters duals look sweet and offer great power without being as loud as alot of singles. pcIII-or 5 have alot of support, maps, and are great if you ever decide to go beyond the big 3.
Lots of options out there, so are cheap and some are more expensive. There several forums dedicated to raptor 700s that can really help you with questions, ideas, or any problems you may have in the future.
duals are sweet
Name:  DSCN0477.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  111.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0476.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  159.6 KB

Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Nice bikes and wheels always wondered what they would look like on a Rappy. Bet the would look good with some Razr's! ;-)

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Allot of guys like to dune with the Rappy, I like to trail ride with mine so to show it's versatility here are some pics of mine!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

the head pipes on the monsters look so good. here is some pics with other systems.
Name:  sub454.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  83.5 KB
barkers with coated headpipes
Name:  RaptorRally012.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  78.0 KB
all black barkers. cans are powder coated and headpipes coated also.upgraded billet straps also. sick pipe just a crazy ammount of $. over 900 bucks for this system

Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Sick! :-p

Quick Reply: New Raptor 700SE - what do I need besides paddles & nerfs?