Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warriors any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warriors any good?

im looking about buying a midrange cc sport quad, but i really dont feel like spending $3,000 on a 400cc quad. i can find older warriors for sale at fairly cheap prices, in good condition. my only concern/question is i have seen a warrior in action and it was slugish and on the slow side. it would bearly spin the tires on gravel! my lt230s was speedier... i hope this is not typical because they seem to be good atv's from what iv heard.

your thoughts?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I recently bought a 93 warrior, it is stock, this is the first atv I have ever owned so I dont have alot of knowledge about them but I love my warrior, it is a blast, not sluggish at all, it will definatly spin the tires if in loose dirt or mud but on the grass in the back yard it would rather bring the front off the ground than spin, althuogh the ground is alittle soft right now so the nobbies on the back tires kinda sink in so there grabbing rather than spinning, but seriously if you can find a good running warrior I would say it would be worth the purchase, go check some out, test ride em see if it is what you want.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

i had a 2001 warrior. it was ok but a 300ex is better to me. i had a 99 300ex and it has hondas legendary handleing with about the same power. the warrior had a faster top end because it has 6 gears where the 300 has 5. you could probably find a 400ex for a good price since everybody is gung ho on the 450s' now

Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 1999 yamaha warrior, it has the six speed transmission. I would say it depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. If you like trail riding with some racing and jumps from time to time, then the warrior is your machine. If you simply want to jump and race, i would not go with a warrior. It is a heavy machine for a sport atv. I was told by my dealer it was more of a sport-utility atv, with its metal running boards and heavy frame. I trail ride alot and occasionally hit some sand pits, it handles both pretty well. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a 2000 warrior with some upgrades, it certainly is not lacking in the power dept. I'm crossing over from motocross so I deffinetly look for low end grunt and top end speed for straight's. Although I will be riding mostly trails and some flat out areas with the kid's and grand kids, I'm sure I'll still hit a track up from time to time and so far from the performance of this machine I think it will hold it's own. I can't speak for the stock version, but with the engine and suspension upgrades this one has, it's far from being a terd. Certainly different from my bike's, but it's a whole lotta fun and I don't seem to fall down as much. The upgrades include .040 over with a JE piston, upgraded stator, Supertrapp pipe, Hinson clutches and basket, upgraded CDI( give's an extra 1000 rpm's on the top), suspension( don't know exact's, but deffinetly set up for my weight), ITP wheels and Razor tire's(22's in the front and 20's in the back). I'm sure before to long I'll be looking for more power, but for now this air cooled one lunger is pretty impressive. I do have some questions and concerns about the starter, mostly the noise when starting and when you shut it off.
Sabotage

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

As an inexspensive trail quad that will last forever it gets the job done.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

warriors are nice bikes, durable trail bikes and there not slow but not exactly fast either i mean the bike has been around since like 87 lol, one thing i dont like about the warriors are the electrical parts, everything else is fine, i modded mine a little bit to hang with newer quads and stuff and have a little fun. a 400ex is definitely another good choice you can pick them up cheap also and there built to last a long time, they make great trail quads with good low end power and nice handling.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I had an 02 Warrior that was bone stock with the only additions from the factory being ITP Holeshots and while riding with 3 guys on their piped 400 EX's I was able to keep up with and pass them on a hare scramble trail. Yes some of it had alot to do with the rider but that Warrior hung with them even on the brief straightaways that were there. I have ridden 400 EX's and think they are a great quad, but for me the Warrior was a better fit. The Honda's are lighter in the front, and at that time, 02, they didn't have reverse which is a big thing for me. Bottom line for me is that the Warriors lack the refinement that the more expensive quads have but they have proven themselves as being nearly bulletproof and very reasonably priced.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought a 96 warrior it was just rebuilt but the kid i bought it off of didnt rebuilt it right so it was making a knocking noise..blew it up 4 hours later..he put wesico pistons in it when he rebuilt it..so i took the engine out and got another used head and once i got it back together my warrior did about 72.. but i was leaking oil out of the case and i slowing losing my speed.but overall i liked the warrior..

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Super me

i bought a 96 warrior it was just rebuilt but the kid i bought it off of didnt rebuilt it right so it was making a knocking noise..blew it up 4 hours later..he put wesico pistons in it when he rebuilt it..so i took the engine out and got another used head and once i got it back together my warrior did about <u>72</u>.. but i was leaking oil out of the case and i slowing losing my speed.but overall i liked the warrior..</end quote></div>

i HIGHLY doubt ANY warrior will do that amount of speed unless its like a 446 with high gearing lol

Quick Reply: warriors any good?