Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto or '09 Polaris 550 XP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto or '09 Polaris 550 XP

I'm needing some feed back on these 2 atvs. I realize I'm trying to decide between two totally different class atv's. One being a 550 that weighs 730lbs and the other being a 700 class atv that weighs around 600lbs. Basically it comes down the following I want a dependable atv as this will be the last atv I will purchase for some time. I have owned to 04.5 500 HO & a '06 500 EFI Sportsman. Loved everything about them except the weight and they were both top heavy and had excessive body roll. I have heard the 550 XP is not so top heavy & steers better. It also won the shootout in atv magazine recently. I don't know anyone that has a Grizzly so I don't know anything about their dependability record? or if they have excessive body roll.

Okay here are the two models I am looking at along with their features & prices:

2009 Polaris Sportsman 550 EFI XP Browning LE-Non Power steering ($7094) Abernathycycle
Hand warmers
Thumb warmer
Winch
Work lights
Gun scabbard
Rear rack extender
Mossy Oak® camo bodywork
14 in. Mossy Oak® camo wheels
1500 lb towing capacity

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI Auto Ducks Unlimited Edition-Power steering($7594) Abernathy
Camo
Power Steering
No winch
1322 lb towing capacity

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have ridden the new 550 and it is impressive. Steering is very light (no need for power steering) and the quad is very stable on off camber trails. The options listed would easily make my decision. $500 less with greater capabilities. The griz is a very nice machine but for $500 less and twice the options plus higher towing it looks like the Polaris is the better deal. The 850 Polaris may be worth a look.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 700 Griz with EPS and I wouldn't trade it for any of the other makes or models. It is a fantastic machine that is light, manuverable and has plenty of power. The only thing that might allow the Polaris to tow more is the additional weight that it is packing around. I am sure that the Griz has all the power you will ever need and the dependability and durability of Yamaha is beyond reproach. I have ridden with all makes and models and so far I have yet to see any other quad that makes me think I made the wrong choice. FYI, I paid $7150 last July for my 08 Griz with FI and EPS. I am sure that you can beat that deal now that the economy is worse now than then.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm very happy with my Grizzly 700. Its my favorite of all the atv's I've had. They are great quads & have little body roll, never had a Polaris.

You've had past Polaris quads, if you like them, get one. How often do you have it loaded up to max? Sometimes guys get focused on the numbers too much & not really on what they'll use it for. Only you know how you'll be using it. Either will likely do whatever you want. Pick the one YOU like. There really isn't as much difference as the manufacture's marketing would like you to believe.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

If you are considering the 550 Polaris, You should definatley have a look at the 550 Grizzly FI, EPS.

Great machne.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Morky
If you are considering the 550 Polaris, You should definatley have a look at the 550 Grizzly FI, EPS.

Great machne.
Honestly, not a fan of Polaris's extra 130 lbs! I mean come on!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by CraZySteve
Honestly, not a fan of Polaris's extra 130 lbs! I mean come on!
Huh???

Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

The Polaris 550 beat the Grizz 550?! What magazine were you reading? Dirt Wheels and Quad both ranked the Grizz higher.

I guess it comes down to dealer support. If you have a good relationship with a local Polaris dealer, go Polaris. I'd rather have a great dealer and an average product than a sucky dealer with an above average product.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting question to be asking in the "Yamaha" section. I'll bet you get different replies in the "Polaris" section.

Personally I would stay with the Yamaha since I've never really been a fan of Polaris but things can always change.

As for magazines, I would test ride a machine yourself rather than always taking someone else's riding experience as gospel. Magazines lean a little towards their biggest sponsors and if everyone just took someone's word for stuff we would all be driving Ridgelines, watching Sony televisions and drinking non-alcohol beer, but we're not are we?

We're going on the Huntington's Disease ride this weekend and their will be around 250 to 300 quads there of every make, model and year. It would be interesting to see what the majority of older machines are and which newer machines don't make it back. We're taking my '07 Kodiak and the wife's '02 Beartracker 2WD. I may have to drag her a little through the rough stuff, but who knows.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

You are exactly right Headpressure, magazines are worthless for advice IMO when it comes to what is best. If you take auto writers word for what is best, BMW would rule the world. I wouldn't have one personally. I am interested to know how your ride comes out and how many of the quads make the full trip and who has to be towed back. So far I have towed back several quads from the trails and have yet to tow back a Yamaha or a Honda. I have pulled back Polaris, Arctic Cat, and just 1 Can Am.

Quick Reply: '09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto or '09 Polaris 550 XP