Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Grizzly 700 Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grizzly 700 Feedback

I am looking at buying a 2008 Grizzly (It is new) and would like some feedback on the dependability of this atv. I have read about some isssues with cold weather starting, boiling gas from the gas tank. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have owned polaris and honda's in the past. Polaris - I like them but they are to dang heavy. Honda's are dependable, but the Rubicon lacks - Fuel injection, Indendent rear suspension, only rated at 850lb towing capacity.

Also are there any differences between the 2008 and 2009 models???

Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hello,
I purchased an 08 700 Griz last July and I love it. It was slow to break in IMO but now that it is broken in it impresses me every trip out. I now have 350 miles on it and it is an awesome ride. I ride in extreme conditions and have ridden with every make and model and I am completely satisfied with my choice. I have yet to see any of the other brand that even comes close for me. I used to smell gas when riding, and so far this year I have not smelled any. I do think that there is a problem with them but not a big enough one to worry me. I was experiencing a stalling issue, and still do rarely but since I switched to premium fuel it is negligible. The only thing that I intend to change is the stock tires. I believe that the Dunlops that come on it stock are not very good tires. I like the look of the Mud Lites and the 589's. My 450 Griz has Maxxis tires and they are great, much better than the 700's. As for dependability I don't think any manufacturer is better than Yamaha.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
DS2
Range Rover

We (it's technically wifey's) have an '07 and I think it's good for the most part. The power steering is excellent, and durable. I smacked it into a tree, bending everything on the right front and the EPS held up fine. I do experience a stalling issue occasionally as well, but so far it has fired right back up. It only happens when I lock up the breaks on high speed stops. For me it's under-powered, but that's a matter of opinion. The only change so far have been tires. Overall it's a comfortable ride. It feels like riding a sport-quad next to my B-I-L's Sportsman 700 twin (in case you had experience with that Polaris). Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'm surprised that you feel it's underpowered DS, mine sure isn't. Even before it was broke in it still had plenty of getup about it. Now that mine is broken in it wheelies when I nail it in an area where I have traction.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by gooseman
I am looking at buying a 2008 Grizzly (It is new) and would like some feedback on the dependability of this atv. I have read about some isssues with cold weather starting, boiling gas from the gas tank. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have owned polaris and honda's in the past. Polaris - I like them but they are to dang heavy. Honda's are dependable, but the Rubicon lacks - Fuel injection, Indendent rear suspension, only rated at 850lb towing capacity.

Also are there any differences between the 2008 and 2009 models???

Thanks
GOOSMAN
I love my 08 700 grizz. The boiling gas is a non issue after i got the free factory fix to the "vent" . That took 10 minutes.
Your immediate mods should include 2" wheel spacers all round, and a "grunt kit" for the clutch, which is 4 light weight rollers. These mods will set this machine free, and you will love it even more.
mike

Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by flyer15015
GOOSMAN
Your immediate mods should include 2" wheel spacers all round, and a "grunt kit" for the clutch, which is 4 light weight rollers. These mods will set this machine free, and you will love it even more.
mike
Flyer, could you provide some more info regarding the 2" wheel spacers - where to get them, advantage, difficulty in installing. Same for the "Grunt Kit"

Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by gooseman
Flyer, could you provide some more info regarding the 2" wheel spacers - where to get them, advantage, difficulty in installing. Same for the "Grunt Kit"

Thanks
Goosman,
2" spacers are from Rhino Parts and Performance, Mesa AZ.
PH 480-982-4866 use p/n YR2.00" wheel spacers. Cost was $109.00 w/ $15.00 shipping.
The "grunt kit" was from someplace back east, but I found it on e-bay. you can most likely do a search and find it. That is exactly what it is called. I think the cost was $49.99 +s.h. The e-bay seller is JPL 75207The instructions were great, and on their website is an insallation video too. Most of the work involves taking the right side running board and side pannel off.
good luck,
mike

Last edited by flyer15015; 05-13-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: price correction on grunt kit to $49.99
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey, thanks for taking the time and providing that info. I appreciate it.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
DS2
Range Rover

Cody-The quad didn't have enough power to wheelie without a fight (low gear, weight back and a solid tug)...which I now lose being that the tires are 6 ply versus 2 (heavier).

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I know that some just run better than others and there may not be anything you can do about that. I know my 700 has big *****. I love it and when I can afford it I am going to try that grunt kit anyway even though I really don't need it. I have noticed that if I have been in heavy mud and have alot of it underneath it is more reluctant to pop up the front end, but when I have traction it comes up easy. Surprises the heck out of me.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grizzly 700 Feedback