Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Blaster Idles way too high

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Blaster Idles way too high

I have 2 2003 Blasters. Both run great for about an hour and then they start to idle way too high, screaming. If you pull out the choke they stall. If you pull the choke out a little the idle goes down. Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I have the same problem on a older model. I'm pretty sure it's in the Carburator. It has been cleaned once but, I think something was missed. I'd start there and makes sure there are no air leaks anywhere.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The only way for an engine to RPM is with an air leak. You have an air leak somewhere. Carb, crank seal, boot, somewhere.

It's up to you to find out where.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

an airleak is not the only way... incorrect air/fuel mixture can do it,dirty carb, running lean, TORS also maybe, and make sure the throttle cable is routed correctly and its not making the cable inside to hang up, also is has the carb ever been taken apart?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

an airleak is not the only way... incorrect air/fuel mixture can do it,dirty carb, running lean, TORS also maybe, and make sure the throttle cable is routed correctly and its not making the cable inside to hang up, also is has the carb ever been taken apart?
The "only" way an engine sees more RPM is an airleak from somewhere. If the engine gets no air it won't even run. The slide may be hanging up because it's drty, but that is an air leak. The carb boot may be cracked, but that is an air leak. The idle screw may be screwed in too much but that is an air leak. If the cable is hung up, you will have an air leak from the slide.
Air fuel mixture has nothing to do with how much RPM an engine has at idle. Sure you can find a few more RPM if your A/F is off but we are not talking about a few RPM in this case.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
The "only" way an engine sees more RPM is an airleak from somewhere.....
That's not true. Just air/fuel mixture can be off can cause this. If you don't believe it go shut your gas valve 90%. Another possible way is like warrior stated, crap in the throttle cable, or a frayed cable can prevent the cable from returning to the correct position which will also cause it.

Just a couple of weeks ago my warrior was doing the same thing. I had crap in the carb that was preventing my float from working. Gas would start pouring out of the overflow and the RPM would slowly climb. After cleaning it all issues were fixed.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

that is not the only way...lmao...carefull when you say "leak", an engine running is an "air leak" even messed up timing can effect idle specially when the components are worn, where does an "air leak" come in there? those blasters are pretty new most likely they just need carbs,reeds checked and adjusted also, but its also likely to have an air leak somewhere like the intake boot, base gasket or something, i understand half of what doctor says but when you say leak...it throws me off, something receiving more air then it should doesnt mean a "leak" just like how u said if the idle screw is turned in to far thats an air leak...no its not its just a change in the air/fuel mixture a change doesnt mean a leak...

Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

are they stock?mine is doing somthing simalar but went i'm at idole rev it and the r's go up and down a few times than goes to normal.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

That's not true. Just air/fuel mixture can be off can cause this. If you don't believe it go shut your gas valve 90%. Another possible way is like warrior stated, crap in the throttle cable, or a frayed cable can prevent the cable from returning to the correct position which will also cause it.

Just a couple of weeks ago my warrior was doing the same thing. I had crap in the carb that was preventing my float from working. Gas would start pouring out of the overflow and the RPM would slowly climb. After cleaning it all issues were fixed.
So are you saying that if you put more gasoline to the engine it would raise the RPM at idle.
Read the OP post again.
Both run great for about an hour and then they start to idle way too high, screaming.
You can lean it out all you want and an engine won't "scream". Geesus, the guy is not talking about the engine RPM's for a second and shuts off. If this were true you would not need a idle screw. You would just turn in your air/fuel mixture screw until you get the correct idle speed.

Another possible way is like warrior stated, crap in the throttle cable, or a frayed cable can prevent the cable from returning to the correct position which will also cause it.
What do you think the cable hangs open when this happens? It hangs the slide open which causes more air to get to the engine then needed.

that is not the only way...lmao...carefull when you say "leak", an engine running is an "air leak" even messed up timing can effect idle specially when the components are worn, where does an "air leak" come in there?
[Leak] Merriam -Websters:
Opening that accidentally admits or lets out a substance.

Leak: as in crank case seals sucking air.
Leak: as in the slide hanging up and admiting too much air in.
Leak: as in a cracked manifold boot.
There is a bazillon more it could be.

Leak, as in I was pointing the OP to the place he needs to look.
Take a look in the carb throat and see if the slide is sitting on the idle screw. If not, find out why. Cable? Routing of it? Burr on slide? Slide in backwards?
All of these ok?
Start it up and spray WD40 around the carb boot.

Like I said, could be a bunch of things. If it screams like you said it does, it's an air leak. It's up to you to find out where.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Geeze man. Sorry. When you tell somebody they have a air leak 95% will think you mean a crack in the boot or air is sucking in somewhere it's not suppose too. If you think has something to do with the slide or stuck cable you should say so. I don't think anybody will relate "air leak" with stuck cable. That's all I'm saying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Blaster Idles way too high