Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why did they stop making 2-strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

With the E-10 gasoline that we have, I won't be buying anything that has a 2-stroke on it. Period.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Stoopidbot
HUH? you are adding oil to the gas, how does that burn cleaner?
in most cases they dont but trust me they CAN on some applications...mostly boat motors like a Evinrude E-Tec outboard engine which are direct injection 2 strokes and those do run cleaner then the 4 strokes believe it or not... if they took the time to develop a new fuel system for 2 stroke dirtbikes i dont see any excuse for polution to be a problem, also with some 2 strokes running bio and synthetic oils they can run alot cleaner then you would think.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

AH, Thanks for the explanation.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sorry Fuel... A good reason.

Originally Posted by Yamadog
With the E-10 gasoline that we have, I won't be buying anything that has a 2-stroke on it. Period.
Yeah, The sorry fuel we have rolling around here goes bad in a few months now. I killed all my 2 stroke yard tools this year with "bad gas" Somehow the fuel is breaking down a lot quicker than it used to. A couple of years ago even, I could mix 4 gallons and use it all summer long in my yard equipment. Now I can't get 2 months outta the stuff before the fuel part evaporates it down to a super oily mixture that fouls plugs fast. I'll probably not buy anymore 2 strokes either, but I still have a bunch of them for now. So I buy small quantities of fuel for mixing and never let the stuff sit long before using it. I'll dump it in my truck after about 3 weeks and mix it with a full tank and at least get some use out of it.... then buy some more to mix.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Terrellster
Yeah, The sorry fuel we have rolling around here goes bad in a few months now. I killed all my 2 stroke yard tools this year with "bad gas" Somehow the fuel is breaking down a lot quicker than it used to. I'll probably not buy anymore 2 strokes either, but I still have a bunch of them for now.
Well if you ever need a new chain saw I would be interested to know how you feel about handling all the extra weight of a 4 stroke in a power saw if they ever start making them.

The fact is that 4 strokes are presently cleaner and less finicky about fuel however the technology exists to produce 2 strokes as clean as a 4 stroke. And under normal circumstances the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke will never be matched without complicated and expensive superchargers/turbochargers.

And I kind of like the smell of the 2 stroke exhaust.

The tree huggers nowadays don't even want you using a 4 stroke lawn mower. They want us to use electric rechargeable ones. Yeah right! I'm going to cut my acre and a half with a battery unit. And where do those toxic batteries end up when they finally stop working?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Also a 4 stroke needs to be sitting in a certain position due to the fact it carries its oil supply in a sump/crank and oil can not run into the top end of the motor. My 4 stroke 2hp Honda outbourd motor has only two position it can be in to be transsported. 1) straight up standing or 2) one side with handle side facing upwards any other postion the motor will not start.

Cloud you imagine a chains saw with restricted positioning options. LOL

Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a two stroke Polaris Xplorer. I miss the weight but not the odor and sound. It was like an angry chainsaw when fully opened up. Did pretty good. I like the 4 strokes for the peace and quiet on a nice ride out in the woods. And I don't come home smelling like I've been cutting cord wood all day. I don't mind others having them, but as others have said I wish people would tune some of them a little bit better. They don't need to smoke like a bug fogger when they are running right.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by headpressure
Well if you ever need a new chain saw I would be interested to know how you feel about handling all the extra weight of a 4 stroke in a power saw if they ever start making them.

The fact is that 4 strokes are presently cleaner and less finicky about fuel however the technology exists to produce 2 strokes as clean as a 4 stroke. And under normal circumstances the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke will never be matched without complicated and expensive superchargers/turbochargers.

And I kind of like the smell of the 2 stroke exhaust.

The tree huggers nowadays don't even want you using a 4 stroke lawn mower. They want us to use electric rechargeable ones. Yeah right! I'm going to cut my acre and a half with a battery unit. And where do those toxic batteries end up when they finally stop working?
Slam Party Started huh?... LOL

They have 4 stroke weedeaters now. They're not too monstrous.... mayhaps they can build a 4 stroke chainsaw too..... <shudder> Chainsaws will never be as good without that 2 stroke Chainsaw sound.....

As far as battery powered lawnmowers.... It actually is a good idea for the trree huggers, but for me... I wanna wake up the neighborhood at 7am with my "quiet" mower.... YEAH!

The neighbor (yes NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR) uses an electric lawn mower (They're from Cali.) they can only mow so far til they run out of extension cord... LOL There's a small part of their yard that gets mowed with scissors or something..... Hence the Good use for Battery powered lawn mowers. There was one on WOOT.COM yesterday.... for a price that would knock you down... "I Coulda Had a V8!"

Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Terrellster
Slam Party Started huh?... LOL
No not a slam party at all, but I like to point out the obvious drawbacks of certain designs.

It always seems that they start pushing a certain product because they make the masses believe it's what they need. The word "green" is used a lot.

Some changes are not always for the better and they usually cost us a lot of money.

JMO.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

At 14 years of age, you shouldn't be looking at a quad such as a Banshee unless you intend on circut riding. This machine can get a young boy like you killed in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Why did they stop making 2-strokes?