Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Decibels on a stock raptor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decibels on a stock raptor!

My buddy has a stock 03 raptor 660r and we would like to know the decibels on it.the place we want to ride has a limit of 94 db at 1/2 throttle.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triggerfreak
My buddy has a stock 03 raptor 660r and we would like to know the decibels on it.the place we want to ride has a limit of 94 db at 1/2 throttle.
If it's stock it will be fine. Make sure if they measure, it is done properly, not right next to the muffler opening. I think it's like 8-10 feet back and 30 degrees out of line from the muffler or something like that..... Look up "Measuring Pipe db's" on this forum or "decibel readings"....... The folks doing it should have a way to measure it, and a standard in writing so you will be able to understand and prepare your bike for it.

EDIT: I did some searching and found it to be 1/2 meter from the pipe, at a 45 degree angle from the opening, using the vehicle centerline as the plane to get 45 degrees.... Don't guess it matters much as long as it's at 45 degrees to the opening.... like this stuff

Measuring the Vehicle Sound
Make sure the engine is warmed up and the transmission is in neutral. Have the rider sit on the motorcycle with both feet on the ground, or on the footrests, so that the vehicle is vertical and stationary.

Hold the sound meter (see diagram below):

At a 45-degree angle to the exhaust centerline (the normal line of travel)

Parallel to the ground

20 inches (0.5 meter) to the rear of the exhaust outlet

At the same height as the exhaust outlet

Determine the test RPM for the make, model, and year of vehicle

Set the vibrating reed tachometer to the test RPM, or attach an electric tachometer.

Have the rider or assistant hold the vibrating reed tachometer against any solid part of the vehicle, or have the rider or assistant read the meter of the electric tachometer.

Have the vehicle operator slowly increase the engine speed to the test RPM. Have the vehicle operator or assistant signal when the correct RPM is held.

Read the sound level meter when the correct RPM is held.