ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   How can you tell if you need to replace clutch basket or just plates?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/315124-how-can-you-tell-if-you-need-replace-clutch-basket-just-plates.html)

kentuckybassman 07-07-2009 09:15 PM

How can you tell if you need to replace clutch basket or just plates??

Hey guys,i have an 88 Warrior that has seen better days but is still a good machine but the clutch started slippin. If you ride it easy for a while it won't do it as bad but you can only give it 1/4 throttle or so.
What all needs replaced to get this badboy back on the dirt?
BTW.i read a few post earlier and learned you can,t put regular (cheap) oil in and i have a few times when it ran low:eek:
So,if you all could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Also is this a very big job to do?I can do quite a bit but I don't want to tear in to it and try and fix and screw something up!!

Terrellster 07-08-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kentuckybassman (Post 2817123)
Hey guys,i have an 88 Warrior that has seen better days but is still a good machine but the clutch started slippin. If you ride it easy for a while it won't do it as bad but you can only give it 1/4 throttle or so.
What all needs replaced to get this badboy back on the dirt?
BTW.i read a few post earlier and learned you can,t put regular (cheap) oil in and i have a few times when it ran low:eek:
So,if you all could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Also is this a very big job to do?I can do quite a bit but I don't want to tear in to it and try and fix and screw something up!!

Get a manual. Worth the moeny for all kinds of repairs. doesn't have to be a factory one. can be Chilton, or Haynes or something like that.... Mine showed me how to do the clutch, Check for wear, and everything I needed to know. The basket can have "steps" or notches worn in the sides of very worn and used up baskets,.... I found an online "how to fix" the baskets too.... Just look around a bit. It'll follow you home like a lost puppy eventually....

Scooter86 07-08-2009 06:29 PM

If the basket has grooves worn into it, it is probably time to replace it. you may be able to clean up the grooves if they aren't to bad though. Replacing a clutch is fairly easy, just take your time. A manual is nice the first time or so and is a good reference for torque settings and what not, but not a necessity.

91Warrior357 07-09-2009 05:51 PM

get OEM or EBC clutches and plates, never use regular motor oil, motorcycles need oil designed for wet clutch, check the back of the bottle if it says JASO approved then your good, for a free online manual go to sandwizards.com click tips and tricks then go to manuals then click warrior.