Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How can you tell if you need to replace clutch basket or just plates??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How can you tell if you need to replace clutch basket or just plates??

Hey guys,i have an 88 Warrior that has seen better days but is still a good machine but the clutch started slippin. If you ride it easy for a while it won't do it as bad but you can only give it 1/4 throttle or so.
What all needs replaced to get this badboy back on the dirt?
BTW.i read a few post earlier and learned you can,t put regular (cheap) oil in and i have a few times when it ran low
So,if you all could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Also is this a very big job to do?I can do quite a bit but I don't want to tear in to it and try and fix and screw something up!!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kentuckybassman
Hey guys,i have an 88 Warrior that has seen better days but is still a good machine but the clutch started slippin. If you ride it easy for a while it won't do it as bad but you can only give it 1/4 throttle or so.
What all needs replaced to get this badboy back on the dirt?
BTW.i read a few post earlier and learned you can,t put regular (cheap) oil in and i have a few times when it ran low
So,if you all could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Also is this a very big job to do?I can do quite a bit but I don't want to tear in to it and try and fix and screw something up!!
Get a manual. Worth the moeny for all kinds of repairs. doesn't have to be a factory one. can be Chilton, or Haynes or something like that.... Mine showed me how to do the clutch, Check for wear, and everything I needed to know. The basket can have "steps" or notches worn in the sides of very worn and used up baskets,.... I found an online "how to fix" the baskets too.... Just look around a bit. It'll follow you home like a lost puppy eventually....

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the basket has grooves worn into it, it is probably time to replace it. you may be able to clean up the grooves if they aren't to bad though. Replacing a clutch is fairly easy, just take your time. A manual is nice the first time or so and is a good reference for torque settings and what not, but not a necessity.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

get OEM or EBC clutches and plates, never use regular motor oil, motorcycles need oil designed for wet clutch, check the back of the bottle if it says JASO approved then your good, for a free online manual go to sandwizards.com click tips and tricks then go to manuals then click warrior.