Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K&N jet kit?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a warrior with a fmf mega max II pipe, pro flow air filter, web cam 10:1 wiesco piston, is anyone running a k&n jet kit? Right now I am running a 147.5 main jet it runs fine with it but I would like to have to throttle response of the jet kit. I put it in just like the directions said for the stage II kit. I used the 148 main and the needle setting on the fourth one down. but this made it miss really bad but only when I held steady on the throttle. it acted like it was loading up or some thing. it would sound like the motor died and i would let off the gas and then get back on it and it would take right back off. oh and I am below 3000ft. any help or opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-19-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

My friends ride is a warrior with the megamax II pipe, K&N powerkit (airfilter and dynojet kit) .The biggest improvement came from the new needle and the airfilter (we installed it in stages to see what each one did) The throttle response is pretty good, but we did have alot of problems getting the correct jetting for it. Cant remember what he is using now, but it is very close to the stock one. It sounds to me like you have a clogged fuel line or something like that. Reasoning here is that if the jetting is correct and it sputters when wide open then it is not getting enough fuel, backing off the throttle for a second would allow fuel to re-fill the bowl and put you back at the beginning of the cycle. When you put a pipe and filter on you get much more flow through the cylinder resulting in some overrev, you might also be hitting a rev limiter (if the warrior has one)

Old 02-19-2001, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

it didnt hardly do a damn thing for mine,throttle response is was better with my machine ALL stock.

Old 02-20-2001, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

Howdy...where in the throttle range does it start missing and sputtering?.....if it starts around half throttle it's the needle...if it's around full throttle it's the main jet...run it and check your plugs color...get back to me with more info and I'll do my best to help you out....
BB

Old 02-20-2001, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do I tell if I have a problem at 1/4 1/2 2/2 throttle. I know that if I rev it out at full throttle and get black plugs I'm to rich and if its gray I'm to lean

Old 02-20-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Let me lend you my thoughts. I have a 99 Warrior with a White Brothers E-Series exhaust with 12 discs on it. I had to install the 150 main jet that came with the K&N Power Up kit and then I had to install the air filter and a 45 pilot jet. My Warrior now runs great but I think I still need to do a little tweaking.

Old 02-21-2001, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Howdy...you have to go for a ride and keep an eye on the position of the throttle when it starts acting up...do you have a twist throttle or a thumb throttle?...if it's a twist throttle mark it off 1/3 1/2 3/4 with felt pen or pieces of white tape...
BB

Old 02-21-2001, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do I tell if its acting up or not? Do I like ride it around a 1/2 throttle and then pull the plugs or what.

Old 02-21-2001, 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

I think he means that when you are at 1/2 throttle then the bike doesnt run smooth, it sputters and misses..