Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

03 Big Bear problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Big Bear problems

I have been having lots of problems with my 2003 Yamaha Big Bear lately
Last week, after I changed the oil I started and let it run for a couple minutes before I shut it off to check the oil level. A few minutes later after I added the proper amount of oil I tried to start it again. The starter button diddn't do anything as if it wasnt getting power from the battery. It has a brand new battery and I knew it was charged. I kept hitting the starter button a few times and it all of a sudden had power like normal but the engine would just crank and wouldnt start. I gave up and came back the next day to find all the gas in my tank leaked out of the carburator overflow tube and the reason it wasnt starting was because it was constantly flooded. I removed the carburator and cleaned it. After re-installing the carburator, It all of a sudden wasnt getting power from the battery again. I waited a few minutes, tried again, the engine started and she was running. After about five minutes I turned it off and tried to restart it again.

This time when I pushed the start button I heard a loud frightening bang come from the engine. Now when I try to start it I just hear something rattling around in the engine, I cant hear exactly where its coming from. It sounded to me like a timing chain/belt or something like that broke. My buddy thinks it is a starter bendix or something with the starter that broke. He says that might be what caused it to not have any power from the battery those times I tried to start it before this 'snap' happened.

Does anyone know what the problem is or could be? Could he be correct about it being a starter or what else could the problem be?
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default big bear

hi,

with your problem it sounds to me that the starter shouldnt be the case if it is starting after a while it could very well be the top end something is lose, i have had the same problem with a dirt bike ....good luck

Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by yamahaistheone
hi,

with your problem it sounds to me that the starter shouldnt be the case if it is starting after a while it could very well be the top end something is lose, i have had the same problem with a dirt bike ....good luck
Welcome to the forum!!
What ended up being the problem with your dirt bike?