Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor or DS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this question has been asked many times in the past, but i have to ask the people who ride them. I am really looking into getting a Raptor, but i have heard reliability is an issue. Now, i know the quad is still relatively new, and bugs still need to be worked out, but can it be relied on? I also hear it is "tippy",wheely-prone,and not a great turner. is this true? I ride mostly tight woods and occasional open sand. I have ridden a 400ex on the trails i ride, but it wasn't strong enough and have a hard time sinking money into a smaller engine, that could never compete power for power with a 660. I don't really want to spend $7200 on a DS that is way wide, and heavy, but i will if i have to. Folks, i need your help...what do you think?
thanks

Old 02-25-2001, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well, It sounds like you already made up your mind. However I can say that the DS is not a good choice if you are going to be in the woods alot. I have never ridden a DS but I do know, and I think everyone agrees that it will have trouble in tight woods. The 400EX is great in tight woods but if you dont like the power of it like u said, then you wont really be happy. It sounds to me like you would be very happy with the Raptor. I still think the "tippy-ness" is made out to be WAY more than it really is, and as for reliability.. I have had my Raptor for several months now and still am yet to have a problem, and I ride several times a week. Also my local dealer still hasn't had to do even one warranty claim on a Raptor that it sold. It seems to me that for your situation you would be happiest with the Raptor. And yes it is wheelie prone and I love it.

Old 02-25-2001, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

It all boils down to what machine fits your riding needs. The DS650 surpasses all other quads for being the first high-performance quad built from Bombardier. The bike is simply amazing!!! The Raptor has the low-end torque of a 400ex, mid-range punch of the DS50, and the top-end of the adrenaline rush Banshee. Plus it has reverse. In all honesty you won't go wrong with either quad. Test drive them both and see how they feel.

j/t
01 Raptor (stock)