Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Some questions from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions from a newb

OK so i bought an 02 Kodiak 400 and have a few questions. This is my first ATV so its ALL new to me so please bare with me please.

1) What oil should i run in it and how much does it hold? im in southern ontario if that helps with climate type.

2) When it gets warmed up, it idles higher and I cant get it in or out of gear unless i shut it off, start it and get it in gear before it revs up again. the little screw on the side of the carb is stripped AND stuck. Im planning on taking it off and getting it fixed, but is there something i can do until i get around to that to "fix" that problem temporarily?

3) what pressure should I run the tires at?

4) My winch doesnt work, ive looked into it a bit but didnt find much and im not overly sure how the system works. Ive got power and 3 of the 4 posts on the solenoid, the 4th is a ground. I think there may be something wrong in the winch controller switch but dont know how to check that.

5) i need more lights, i do a far bit of night driving and im not happy with the stock lights, ive got a set of small flood lights from my Jeep that i was thinking of putting on, i think they are 35 watts each. should i wire them with a relay?

i think thats enough newb questions for right now, TIA for any help.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

1. I'd just get some oil from the dealership, should say what weight in your manual. You can run synthetic, though thats a debate all in its own.

2. Not sure but on the '07 450 theres a cable with a little dial on it near the engine you can adjust the idle with, sounds like its set too high.

3. Most tires run good at or around 5 psi, though you may find it better to have a little less or more, depending on your riding.

Not really sure about the rest of your questions.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

any JASO approved oils will work, look on the back of the bottle and it should say it somewhere, yamalube and amsoil are my favs, valvoline makes some that you can get at most auto parts stores also.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

91 Warrior357 ,I'm another "newbie.What doe's the designation JASO mean ,or more important ,where can it be had ? Also,since My 2002 400 CC 4WD Kodiak has a belt drive,Why would synthetic oils even come into play.I admit I know NOTHING about the rest of the internals on this engine [in so far as items that might find synthetics "too slippery " . I'm here to learn & appreciate all input & opinions. Thnaks,keith