Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Tires for 550 Grizz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I noticed a slight wobble when I went to a bigger tire. Not bad.
Ya it feels more tippy to, especially on the pavement,,could it be because i have 26x12x12 on rear? also i hit some woopty doos(i cant spell lol) in my trials and felt some clanking under i have my skids on my A arms,i was wondering if something is botoming out?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Troyboy68
Ya it feels more tippy to, especially on the pavement,,could it be because i have 26x12x12 on rear? also i hit some woopty doos(i cant spell lol) in my trials and felt some clanking under i have my skids on my A arms,i was wondering if something is botoming out?
If you have alluminum skids it is highly possible one of your plates is loose causeing the clunck. I doubt it has anything to do with tires. As far as te tippy feeling goes quit riding on the pavment LOL ATV's were not designed to ride there any way!!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
If you have alluminum skids it is highly possible one of your plates is loose causeing the clunck. I doubt it has anything to do with tires. As far as te tippy feeling goes quit riding on the pavment LOL ATV's were not designed to ride there any way!!!!
Ya i'll get under there and see if anythings loose,i onlt hear and feel some sort of clunk when im riding over alot of big humps,maybe im hitting them to hard for a utilty atv,, im only on one part of a road for maybe 2 minutes,it leads to miles of trails, heck,i live out in the boonies so my neighbors are pretty cool lol,but my buddys coming over with his chian saw,where gonna make some new trails! ohh yaa! lol.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Wobble here

Well got the Bighorns on,they look mean as hell! but i do notice some more wabble and more sliding in the snow than my stock Dunlops,, anybody else seeing this???
Troyboy
I got mine on last night and did some plowing and ran up and down the snow covered road. I didn't notice any wobble and they actually handled the road much better then the stock Dunlops. Gonna head out in a few and give them a test in the fields.
ps
Hey Nathan thanks for the recommendation on the Big Horns! So far so good!!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Grizkaw
Troyboy
I got mine on last night and did some plowing and ran up and down the snow covered road. I didn't notice any wobble and they actually handled the road much better then the stock Dunlops. Gonna head out in a few and give them a test in the fields.
ps
Good to hear! I am sure you are going to love them.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Troyboy
ps
Thats great that you like them, what do you have for tire pressure? and whats the size on your bighorns? i was taking a turn on the road and it felt like i was gonna tip over, they just seem to wiggle around more let me know how yours did in the field,,tomorrow im gonna plow my driveway then go for a long ride, maybe i just gotta get used to the difference from the stock Dunlops.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats great that you like them, what do you have for tire pressure? and whats the size on your bighorns? i was taking a turn on the road and it felt like i was gonna tip over, they just seem to wiggle around more let me know how yours did in the field,,tomorrow im gonna plow my driveway then go for a long ride, maybe i just gotta get used to the difference from the stock Dunlops.
They did great in the fields no problems. I have the 26 inchers. I am running 5 pounds in the rear and 6 in the front. Being the griz sits up pretty high it will make it feel a tad more tippy on hard turns which only makes sense. I know if I would of put 27's on it I would of gone with spacers. So far so good. More snow coming tonight so should be able to get into some stuff around 18 inches deep tomorrow and see how it does.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

They did great in the fields no problems. I have the 26 inchers. I am running 5 pounds in the rear and 6 in the front. Being the griz sits up pretty high it will make it feel a tad more tippy on hard turns which only makes sense. I know if I would of put 27's on it I would of gone with spacers. So far so good. More snow coming tonight so should be able to get into some stuff around 18 inches deep tomorrow and see how it does.
Thats good,,i also have 26 im running 6 pounds on all fours, its funny because standing off the machine i can shake the heck out of it and see it wobble,, are you saying this is common with the grizzlys? 18 inches of snow? wow,we just got that 2 weeks ago, i had my Dunlops on then and they actually did good, let me know how yours do, have fun!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats good,,i also have 26 im running 6 pounds on all fours, its funny because standing off the machine i can shake the heck out of it and see it wobble,, are you saying this is common with the grizzlys? 18 inches of snow? wow,we just got that 2 weeks ago, i had my Dunlops on then and they actually did good, let me know how yours do, have fun!
Troy
I've come to the conclusion that the Griz isn't a snowmobile It was doing fine in stuff around 18 inches but I was riding in cut bean fields and didn't have the nerve to stop as it seemed to really be groaning at slow speeds. Also made the mistake of slowing down and crossing a 2 foot deep swale type drainage ditch along the road to get back on the road and bottomed out on top of the snow from the plows. I guess good thing for winches and snatchem straps as there was a small tree across the road

About that wobble you spoke of? That isn't coming from the tires is it? If it is, you better make sure you got the bolt holes centered and the lug going in fully seated. The Griz will shake side to side easier then a lot of other quads as thats just it's suspension.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Troy
I've come to the conclusion that the Griz isn't a snowmobile It was doing fine in stuff around 18 inches but I was riding in cut bean fields and didn't have the nerve to stop as it seemed to really be groaning at slow speeds. Also made the mistake of slowing down and crossing a 2 foot deep swale type drainage ditch along the road to get back on the road and bottomed out on top of the snow from the plows. I guess good thing for winches and snatchem straps as there was a small tree across the road

About that wobble you spoke of? That isn't coming from the tires is it? If it is, you better make sure you got the bolt holes centered and the lug going in fully seated. The Griz will shake side to side easier then a lot of other quads as thats just it's suspension.
Lol,you guys are getting hammered with snow ha? i just got back from a 2 hour cruise,we got about 6 inches but its packed down from the snowmobiles,,what a blast! best investment ever!!
I wonder if my tires are to soft,i can push in on them with my hand i just had them put on from the mechanic where i bought it so im sure he did a good profesional job,im gonna call him and see what he thinks, man oh man these Grizzlys are fun!

Quick Reply: New Tires for 550 Grizz?