Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lowering the Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 09:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nakedraygun,

My front end was already low from the TCS shocks. When I turned the relay arm around it actually had the rear lower than the front even with a spacer removed off the front shock to lower the front. I just added preload on the rear till it was even.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Why the bitterness!!!

Old 02-28-2001, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Eric, If you go with wider a-arms later you'll have to get your shocks revalved because of the leverage diff. Whats up with your quad was it just flooded or blown?

Old 03-02-2001, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

kyraptor, I put on my triple rate TCS shocks last night and flipped my linkage this helped out alot the quads seat height is lower than my buddies 400ex. I had a couple of questions though. First on your front shocks which spacer did you remove mine has 3 spacers in the front and 1 is alot smaller than the other 2. By removing the spacer did you loose susp travel wouldnt this sit you further through travel? My front is alot lower without removing any spacers but I had to take my rear shock down at least 3/4 of the way to get it to sit even with the front after fliping linkage the only thing I dont like is that with turning my rear shock down that far I dont have any sag at all so I guess if I removed a spacer from front I could back rear shock off and then I would get sag since my front would be lower and I wouldnt have to run rear shock down so far. Is this correct? Which spacer did you remove up front?
Does your rear end have sag in it or no?
Did you loose frame clearance when you flipped linkage I forgot to measure mine before and after?
Thanks

Old 03-02-2001, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Extreme165,

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused by your post.
Can you clarify what you mean when you said,

"I had to take my rear shock down at least 3/4 of the way to get it to sit even with the front after fliping linkage the only thing I dont like is that with turning my rear shock down that far I dont have any sag at all "

Are you saying that you have compressed it with pre-load that far or that you have took all of the pre-load (spring tension) out and now you don't have any travel? Sag is how much travel that the shock has used up just sitting there. That's what is confusing me, you don't have any sag, but you say you've taken the rear shock 3/4 of the way down to sit even with the front.

Are you saying that after you flipped the linkage and put on the front shocks, you were too high in the back end or too low in the backend?

Thanks in advance for straightening things out.

Old 03-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

bash, When I changed linkage the rear end sat lower than the front, so I had to turn spaner nuts on shock down to get the back even with front. There is no sag if the quad is sitting on the ground and you grab the rear grab bar and pull up no play(sag) at all I think kyraptor has one spacer up front removed so this would sit the front end even lower so you could have sag and be even. Do you understand what I mean? If not let me know and I will try to explain differently.

Old 03-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

I got ya! It was just the context of the words that made it hard to follow.

I believe that Kyraptor has lowered his by taking out one spacer. I'm just not sure which one.

Old 03-02-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

He hasn't even started on it yet and I took it in LAST Wednesday(21st)!!! He said this Saturday. I hope so I wanna go riding real bad!!

Old 03-04-2001, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks bash. i tried your method to lower my raptor and am very pleased with it. plus its the cheapest mod i will ever do.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

Wow this sounds pretty cool, I just may try this.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Raptor