Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone put an Edelbrock/other carb on a 660 Grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put an Edelbrock/other carb on a 660 Grizzly?

Instead of fighting with this thing further with the hard starting/cold running/idle issue, I am about ready to just throw in the towel & go for an aftermarket carb.

Has anyone put an Edelbrock or other carb on their 660? Any input/ideas/suggestions welcome. I know it is a costly shot in the dark, but unfortunately I live in an area where the shops aren't very competent on

repairs, so I am forced to pretty much diagnose/troubleshoot on my own, or shell out handfuls of money to the shop only to get it back in the same condition as before...

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Are you sure you just don,t need a free carb cleaning? We go ice fishing with a 03 660 grizzly all the time up here in Northern Ontario Canada.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Never seen one on a Grizz but have on a Raptor. Nice step that solved allot of issues including cold start.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

TLC -

Once the weather breaks & I don't need to use it for plowing anymore I will disassemble it for (another) good carb cleaning. For the time being, I may run a can of Seafoam through it; I read that a fellow did that on another forum & it really helped out a lot.

Dodge -

The Raptor has the same engine doesn't it? Hate to spend $350 on this fix, but I don't see much of an alternative. When I search the 'net, I see this problem time & time again with the Grizzly engine.

I guess they must have put junk carbs on these things...

Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes both engine are basically the same. Here is some more info for you to look at.
EDELBROCK GETS 27.9 HP FROM 2002-07 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 660 WITH THE ALL NEW #3205 40mm PERFORMER SERIES CARBURETOR

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Ouch! That carb is $400 +!

Don't know if I can justify spending that or not on a "fix" that in my opinion Yamaha should have made it right from the start. Spending that on an upgrade is one thing, but this is just a repair to get it running "normal".

Well, ok - there is that 10% gain in HP...will I even notice that?

Will have to give it some considerable thought...

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Like they say got to pay to play LOL It does suck to replace a part that should have been corrected from the get go but if that is the only problem you have I dont think you have much to complain about, esp for a gain in performance over stock. Good luck let us know what you decide/do.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Just a thought, have you played with the pilot jet sizes any to get more gas to it at idle? I have an '01 600 grizzly that had a cold start issue and I jumped it up one and it helped. My warrior is having carb issues also, I wish Yamaha would have used keihin carbs, I have never had any issues with theirs.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Kevin -

Nope - I haven't changed any of the jet sizes. I purchased a (stock) rebuild kit from the Yamaha dealer last fall & that didn't change things at all...well, not very much.

My initial prob. then was a stuck needle/seat, so we cleaned the carb (several times by now) & also had a *competent* shop clean it. It will at least start & run now, albeit the cold running/sputtering issues.

I came across another forum thread today where the fellow said he ran Seafoam through his misbehaving Grizzly & it worked wonders for him.

So, made a quick trip to A-Zone & picked up a can & dumped it in the fuel tank. I will ride it every day for the next few weeks to get the stuff worked through the system...we'll see how it goes.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

If you've cleaned the carb completly then the seafoam won't help the carb. It might clean some carbon build up inside the head though, so worth a shot.

The 660 motors are known for the intake valve clearance to tighten up, especially the center valve. Adjust the valves and I bet your starting issues will be solved.

Kevin R. had a good idea also. A $5 pilot jet is alot better than buying a new carb. Your stock jet should be a 40. Try a 42.5. The aftermarket carb will still have to be tuned correctly for your area to start and run right.

Also I see alot of people cranking the choke all the way over to start the bike. Most of the time you can get away with 1/2 choke or less if it's jetted correctly.

Quick Reply: Anyone put an Edelbrock/other carb on a 660 Grizzly?