Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Axle/A-arms Versus Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle/A-arms Versus Spacers

Hey guys,
I have a chance to get a used durablue +2+4 axle, and some +2 burguard a arms for my warrior. I was wondering how much better this set-up is than some wheel spacers. I can get front and back wheel spacers for $300 less, and use the $300 for something else. Once again I am very new to ATV's so if this is a stupid question I apologize!!! I know it might be a good deal, but what are the benefits over wheel spacers.......... thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spacers are more likely to cause front wheel bearing problems and a bent rear axle due to the extra force the wheels put on stock components. If you never jump the quad this route may work out, but it isn't a good idea if you ride fast/hard, or jump. The arms and axle are the best upgrade path as long as the used parts are in serviceable condition.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah they look fine. I will pretty much just be trail riding. I do not plan on doing any jumps, but I have not been out on the trails, so they might be rough on the spacers. Might go with the used parts.....

Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Can I use my stock shocks with the +2 a arms or do I have to modify/change shocks??

Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Range Rover

I run spacers on my raptor but just run it in rodeos, TT races, and some drag races. I wouldn't recommend spacers either if your jumping or running rough trails.

As for the shocks it is going to depend if those arms are long travel or not. Here is a link to the burgard products for the warrior http://www.burgardcycle.com/xcart/home.php?cat=25. They do same something about needing to ream the spindles with the extended a arms.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will have to be the standard travel arms to use the stock shocks. Also, either way you go, arms or spacers, the extra width will make your stock shocks softer. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

spacers will affect the steering geometery, prematurely wear out bearings,bend rims, the list goes on. if you can afford to go with an a-arm kit, and an extended axle i would recomend doing it the proper way. the common asked question is "spacers are cheaper, what will happen if i use them". The manufacture did design these vehicles to take a beating, but under the way they designed them to operate. if that makes sense. It's really fun science... the factory designed a-arm, and axle lenghts are in relation to the steering geometery;angles, the bushing and bearing loads, shock function through it's travel and so on. spacers would be ok for a picnic ride but the rough stuff will damedge the above listed components and with the steering angel change could be exciting and dangerous. if you are going to use them i would not exceed 1inch per wheel but that is personal opinion. hope i didn't ruin any ones day...lol