Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior start up problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior start up problem

hey guys i just want some input on what this could be. i have a 2001 yamaha warrior 350, i go out riding for a hr turn it off and then it wont turn back over. i cleaned out my carb, replaced the ignition coil, replaced the spark plug and it wont start at all now. can some one give me some suggestion..thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

what does the spark look like? is there a strong smell of gas when trying to start? have you tried skid starting it? those questions will help me help you, but it could be a ground, something with carb, valves maybe, stator...

Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does it even try?? There is some wiring under the rear left fender that can get snagged from a branch or something. It can even get ripped out if your rear grab bar is bent from goin over backwards too many times. There's also an inline fuse located under there that will blow if the wires short out at all.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys for the info..91warrior i will try to do that this weekend and hopefully i can give u some good answers so its ezer to find out. thanks again!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

If it wont turn over at all I would suspect the fuse. Does the lights still come on? If not fuse all the way or a dead battery. Also if it wont even turn over then dont waste your time on carb and valves and what not, you have a power issue or bad starter but again if the lights wont even come on then fuse or battery.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

If the starter isn't operating, it could be the starter relay. I posted a topic about that recently where nothing on my Warrior was electrified (neutral light, headlight, taillight, starter), and I swapped the relay from the other Warrior and it's been fine ever since.

You can test the starter relay by taking a jumper wire and crossing the two terminals on top of the relay. If it cranks, the relay's probably the issue.

The dealer says that the starter relay is the #1 most replaced part on the Warrior.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

it wants to start up but it wont catch...i took off my cdi box and it smelt a little burnt and the smooth gel area looked like someone kept jumping on rocks so it got pushed into the service...so im gunna try to see if that works...and yes my lights do come on...fuse actually looked brandnew

Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

So it doesn't catch. What exactly do you mean?? The starter spins but will not engage the flywheel? If so then the starter is bad. Or are you meaning something else?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

this is what happened...i was goin down the road 6th gear pinned just going prolly only held it for 20 or so seconds and it backfired on me died off i pulled in the clutch and pressed my starter button and it turned back on...turned around and went back down the road and it just turned off on me once again i pulled in the clutch and it started back up, got to the top of the hill turned it off myself to use my phone, now it wont start up...it wants to but it doesnt...just keeps muffling. i took off my cdi box and it smelt burnt...but if it isnt my cdi box i will be much happier...hope that helped a little

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

Oh okay, yes that does help. I was going the wrong direction. Well first thing first. Did you recently do any work to the quad? if not was the gas old?

Check for spark. You should have a good strong blue spark. If you dont check your coil and then stator. If those check out good then it is CDI. But even before that check your wiring around the CDI. I recently had about 6 wires in the harness (under the seat, I had to remove the rear fenders) that had melted together causing the same type of symptoms. On top of the wires my valves were bad out of adjustment. Point is, CDI's are expensive as are stators, so check everything else before buying those. And just because the ohms are out of whack does not mean that it is bad. I had that too which threw me for a loop, manual said stator and coil were bad but they in fact were good. So I think electronics either work or they dont. The fact that the CDI smells burnt is not good but still rule out all others first. But I would really check the wiring in the harness all under the rear fenders!

Oh I feel as though I went astray. Start with the spark first, then move to wiring.

Quick Reply: warrior start up problem