Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Piston??? Cam??? Raptor 700

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston??? Cam??? Raptor 700

Putting a new piston and rings in my 06 Raptor 700. During the procedure I'm going to go with a higher comp piston (11:1) and a better cam. I know I want the hot cam (stage 2) but im not sure with what kind of piston to get??? (ie: j&e, wiesco, vertex,cp,) I'm looking to get the best for the money and all I do is trail ride. Please let me know if you have any imput....... Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

JE makes a great piston, I have ran them on a few of my machines with great results. JE pistons are supposed to be lighter in weight than Wiseco, which helps your engine rev faster. I have heard good things about about CP pistons, but don't have any experience with them. If you go with JE, I know you won't be disappointed.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Cool 700 Raptor Mods

I also have a 2006 700 Raptor and added an 11:1 JE piston and Webber stage I cam. It was suggested to me a stage II cam could be a bit hard on the valves and springs. While you don't need to run high octane gas with 11:1 piston, i prefer mixing pump and high-oct gas for max performance.

You'll love the low-end grunt with the combination. CT Racing dyno'd my quad at 52 hp which includes a Dr D pipe, K&N filters. Be sure to leave off your airbox lid as the big boy needs the air. Have fun!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

For a raptor the CP is the best to get.
The stage one cams really don't add a lot of performance, if your going Webb or megacycle anything above a stage 1 you will have to purchase HD valve springs and the head and the exhaust rocker will have to be clearanced for the cam.
If you do not wish to spend the extra $$ for the head work go with either an HCII or HCIII cam depending on where you are wanting the power, both of these cams will allow you to use the stock valve springs. The HCII adds to midrange where the HCIII gives you more up top but you will loose a little down low but your not going to notice it with adding the higher compression piston.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by geoman
For a raptor the CP is the best to get.
The stage one cams really don't add a lot of performance, if your going Webb or megacycle anything above a stage 1 you will have to purchase HD valve springs and the head and the exhaust rocker will have to be clearanced for the cam.
If you do not wish to spend the extra $$ for the head work go with either an HCII or HCIII cam depending on where you are wanting the power, both of these cams will allow you to use the stock valve springs. The HCII adds to midrange where the HCIII gives you more up top but you will loose a little down low but your not going to notice it with adding the higher compression piston.
i would recomend the cp (which is a higher end je) and the stg 3 hotcam, the tech quad shop 11.5:1 cp piston imo is the best thing out there to still run pump gas(cost about 225 bucks). but if u are adding a piston get the stg 3 hotcam not the stg 2 u will barly barly see any loss on the bottom end and a ton of gain on the topend with the stg3.

and on a side note none of the hotcams require hd springs or rocker clearencing.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info...