Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster new piston and rings break in

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster new piston and rings break in

i have a believed to be mid 90's blaster i bought off someone who built it. i got it about two weeks ago and a friend was riding it and whined the hell out of it in first and messed it up. i just had a new piston, rings and barring put in yesterday and have been breaking it in through out the day...it was 200 bored 30 over before this...im not sure what its bored out to now but i had the cylinder honed.the piston size is 0.051mm (wiseco pro-lite). about 8 rides or so 15 minutes each...each one letting slightly into the throttle, then letting cool down for a good 45 minutes afterwards...i have a couple questions...is it fine to ride normally after a good eight 15min runs then letting cool down after the final run...and also i was told the jets needed to be changed to match the new bore job and piston size, to allow more gas to flow through to match the engine performance...would it hurt it to ride it how it currently is without changing the jets (for now anyways)...im also not riding it real hard, the last couple runs i reached the normal rev limit needed to shift with out gunning it...this is my first atv and just trying to catch on to some things...thanks for replies

Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NEO_mrowe122007
i have a believed to be mid 90's blaster i bought off someone who built it. i got it about two weeks ago and a friend was riding it and whined the hell out of it in first and messed it up. i just had a new piston, rings and barring put in yesterday and have been breaking it in through out the day...it was 200 bored 30 over before this...im not sure what its bored out to now but i had the cylinder honed.the piston size is 0.051mm (wiseco pro-lite). about 8 rides or so 15 minutes each...each one letting slightly into the throttle, then letting cool down for a good 45 minutes afterwards...i have a couple questions...is it fine to ride normally after a good eight 15min runs then letting cool down after the final run...and also i was told the jets needed to be changed to match the new bore job and piston size, to allow more gas to flow through to match the engine performance...would it hurt it to ride it how it currently is without changing the jets (for now anyways)...im also not riding it real hard, the last couple runs i reached the normal rev limit needed to shift with out gunning it...this is my first atv and just trying to catch on to some things...thanks for replies
If you just had it honed, Jetting may be unnecessary,.... but You might do some re-jetting to see if there's any gain from it. The first 10 hours of riding should be done at 1/2 throttle or less for break in. 10-20 hours, not above 3/4 throttle for prolonged time, OK to rev freely through the gears though. After that, do not run at full throttle for prolonged periods,... always (2 stroke gospel) vary the throttle while riding....

Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default jets

so the jets usually don't need changed? it seems like at times i accelerate quicker then others it slightly chokes or bogs during faster acceleration. compared to how it was when i first got it witch was smoother. does this have to do with breaking the piston in?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

i break em in hard! i take it easy maybe first 10 minutes then i let it eat, its actually been proven to be better for alot of engines to be broke in that way, the engine needs to broke in at a variety of different rpms and such instead of just puttin around.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

its pretty much broken in from variation of speeds...its almost got a tank through it already...my main concern now is or are the jets...far as the sputtering or choking when trying to accelerate faster...

Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

its pretty much broken in from variation of speeds...its almost got a tank through it already...my main concern now is or are the jets...far as the sputtering or choking when trying to accelerate faster...
If you are good with the break in,... then go ridin'. The bogging down "sometimes" sounds like somethings not right. If it was only bored over .05, then the jetting should be negligibly off,... but off nonetheless. A slightly larger jet would maybe make the difference.

My Blaster is bored 60 over and I have never touched the jets. I did put a FMF pipe and can on it also, and woke that ****** way up. I don't have any bogging except while warming up,... after the temp is good,.... Yanks my arms out of socket....

The carb Drain leaks on mine,... anyone got a good bowl and drain plug screw that won't leak,.... I can't find any without buying a whole carb. And I can't get a guarantee with that....

Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the guy i got it from said he has to tune it up the jets are off. said if i keep riding it i could blow it up

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

can anyone tell me what the size its bored out to if the new piston is Clear: 0.0020(0.051mm) ??? it was 30 over before this, so thats what i was told

edit: after doing a little of my own research, the .020 stands for the bore size, so its at 220cc ? could i determine what size jet i need for it? just the main jet i need to change?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

can anyone tell me what the size its bored out to if the new piston is Clear: 0.0020(0.051mm) ??? it was 30 over before this, so thats what i was told

edit: after doing a little of my own research, the .020 stands for the bore size, so its at 220cc ? could i determine what size jet i need for it? just the main jet i need to change?
no its not a 220cc .040 over made mine a 357 for reference so .020 over on a blaster might make it like 198 or something since blaster true cc's are 195.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

its 200 stock. so does the .020 mean its 20 over? where do you get the .040 from?

edit: oh you were referring to yours being a .04o over.....and im just speaking technical terms not true cc's...you were confusing me lol

Quick Reply: Blaster new piston and rings break in