Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just picked up an '01 Warrior 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up an '01 Warrior 350

Hey all! I traded my one cyclone that had the mod pipe one it for an '01 Warrior. This is my first Yami, so I have a few questions. First, where would I find the choke control? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a choke. It started pretty rough, but I couldn't find the choke, and it was cold today, so that's understandable. Another thing is my starter clunks when I turn it over, is that a normal yamaha thing? Finally, once the quad had warmed up, it seemed like someone was pulling on the throttle. It just seems like it wants to rev up. Will this be solved by a good carb cleaning, or does this seem like a problem with being jetted too lean? Thanks everyone!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

the choke is on the left side of the carb and has a round black ****, that clunking noise is the sound of the one-way starter clutch and its normal, and the third thing is it might need the idle screw adjusted to get it to idle at a lower rpm the idle screw is also on the left side pointing down and can be turned by hand, you will hear the difference when its running and you move it.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

the choke is the black **** connected to the carb by the fuel petcock. yes the starters do clank a lot. the throttle thing could be jetting maybe try playing with the idle screw but id go through the carb just to be sure there isnt any buildup anywhere. congrats on your purchase and make sure you check out yfm350.com and see the nicest warriors ever.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

wow ^we posted at the same time

Old 03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beastlywarrior228
wow ^we posted at the same time
lmfao damn near said the same thing also hhaaahaa

Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

^Thanks guys, it is pretty odd that both of you posted almost the exact same thing at almost the exact same time! It was kindof dark last night, and so this morning before I left for the day I looked it over a little more, and found the choke. I'm thinking I'll pull the carb and go through it good, it's been awhile since I've used something other than a mikuni, and that's were I got lost with the choke deal.

Good to know about the starter clunk, it seemed to work fine but it made some noises I wasn't real familiar with!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by pudamobile
^Thanks guys, it is pretty odd that both of you posted almost the exact same thing at almost the exact same time! It was kindof dark last night, and so this morning before I left for the day I looked it over a little more, and found the choke. I'm thinking I'll pull the carb and go through it good, it's been awhile since I've used something other than a mikuni, and that's were I got lost with the choke deal.

Good to know about the starter clunk, it seemed to work fine but it made some noises I wasn't real familiar with!
yea if you clean the carb make sure its in an area to where you can keep stuff organized and not lose anything, also while using carb cleaner dont spray any rubber stuff like a diaphram or gasket as the carb cleaner can mess them up, carb cleaner and some carefull spraying of an airhose work well, and the warriors are very noisy machines noisy starting system and noisy valvetrain.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

After fiddling with the idle screw, it did help a little, but it still, after being warmed up, seemed like it wouldn't idle down after getting on the throttle. I'm going to pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning.

When I said I hadn't worked on anything but a mikuni for awhile, I ment a VM like on my cyclones and my snowmobiles, this one doesn't look quite the same as my 2 strokes had.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

it is supposed to idle high, once its warmed up its going to idle around 1700 iirc, i can pull the repair manual out again tomorrow and look at it for you, but it idles very high, mine does as well, i have an 03 warrior.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by draarong2004
it is supposed to idle high, once its warmed up its going to idle around 1700 iirc, i can pull the repair manual out again tomorrow and look at it for you, but it idles very high, mine does as well, i have an 03 warrior.
I wouldn't mind it idling high, but it acts like I haven't let off the throttle when I do (sometimes it even revs after I get off the fun lever!), so that's something I've got to figure out before I do too much riding.

Quick Reply: Just picked up an '01 Warrior 350