Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

KODIAK Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 08:09 PM
jdm
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about trading my 00 big bear 2wd for a 4wd kodiak and would like to ask a couple of questions. What is the story on belt slippage or is there a story? Is the radiator in a safe location? How smooth is the transmisson? What would be a good price for my b.b. it looks brand new? Is everyone happy with their kodiak? I will be using it for hunting and trail riding. Some of the trails to my deer stands are very tight, how is the steering on the kodiak? Thanks for all responses

Old 03-01-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I seem to stand alone on my belt problem. My belt slips if I'm sitting on mine and take a drink of water. Seriously, I have had some belt slippage after going through very deep water. The steering is very easy, even in 4X4.

Tranny: smooth as silk.
Radiator: very protected.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2000 kodiak 400 last november. It has been a great machine. It handles really well on tight trails and steep hills in all gears and 2&4x4. The transmision is smooth and strong. I haven't had any problems out of mine, but have heard on the 2000 models that antifreeze has gotten into the engine from the radiator on some units. Overall, I would reccomend the kodiak.

Old 03-02-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Radiator is in safe location. Highly unlikely to damage it. You won't have to worry about belt slippage unless you get into water up near the racks. Transmission is smooth.

Rear brakes are a poor design, eats up brake pads like crazy. Radiator reserve bottle does NOT indicate whether you have water or not. It can be full while there is ZERO water in the radiator. Front rack must be removed in order to get to the radiator. Water pump seems to be a defect on the Kodiaks. Myself and others have had problems with the water pump going out. The Kodiak is a narrow quad, which makes it great on those tight trails. But due to the narrowness, also makes it a bit top heavy.

Overall the Kodiak is a good quad, these are just some things you can expect to run into.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

No probs here other than a brake pad at 700 hard miles. I heard the water pump prob was an early production run situation that had been corrected. My antifreeze level is the same as the day I bought it. Hey Quadfather, maybe your clamp on the air intake is loose, mine was so I tightened it right after I got it. I've had zero slippage with water/mud up to seat and water over headlights( at a down hill angle). It's an excellent quad but the stock Dunflops aren't much on traction.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

JHAM,

I thought of that, I've just been too busy to check it out. I will soon be putting both my quads up on the lift, and going over them with a fine tooth comb. I thought of putting a light coat of silicon or grease under that clamp.

Also, my stock rear pads lasted two months. I installed EBCs, and have lasted over a year, and still look new. I got one of the first Kodiaks in Ohio, and haven't experienced any water pump probs. I will be checking the radiator for coolant levels.