Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Uh, oh..Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh, oh..Suggestions

This last weekend myself and a small crew went riding at a local track that also had some mean, mean trails. 3 wrecks before it beat us into submission. Luckily nobody got hurt. However I now have a bent tie rod that must be replaced.

Does anybody have any suggestions on some strong aftermarket rods? Should I replace the Tie rod ends as well?

2004 YFZ 450

Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock tie rods bend like butter. Any aftermarket set will be better, but then the downside is you break a tie rod end(oh how would I know that, lol) I actually have a decent bit of time on a set of Tusk ends. they have held up well, and seem to be a touch beefier than stock as well. My tie rods are stainless steel, but came with a used set of Houser arms(they are NOT Houser tie rods!) and I don't know who manufactured them. My brother has Houser tie rods and arms. he has bent a houser rod, but he also went through about 4 stockers in the same time and conditions the year previous.

from someone that has bent way to many tie rods and broken the ends as well, hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent. Thanks that helps. When we kicked it back into shape so i could get the thing out of there I was thinking "man that bent back easy". I wasn't sure if aftermarket ends are more solid and should go ahead and change them with the rods or just let them ride. They weren't broke.