Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Too much coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much coolant?

I just did maintenece to my 06 Kodiak 450 which included oil change and coolant change and adding a K&N air filter. I thought I may have added a few ounces too much on the coolant as it was hard to measure out the exact amount. Anyways I took it out for the first time and it ran great, but I noticed a anti freeze smell and it felt like the plastics in the quad were getting hotter than normal. So I parked it and checked the coolant reservoir only to find out the cap was now missing, but the coolant seemed to be at the full range. Could I have blown that cap off cause there was too much coolant? Also, I looked up under the Yamaha parts book and they don't mention anything about the reservoir, so I am having a hard time replacing the cap to it. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You put to much coolant,there should of been a pressure relief hole on the cap , maybe the cap was to lose and it was easier for the excess coolant to blow the cap. That would suck if Yamaha only sells the whole reservoir bottle and not the cap alone, Id call your dealer and ask.

Take one off a ATV on the show room floor,if worst comes to worst. LOL

Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TLC, i figured I would mess up the coolant. Anyway I went to local dealer and after about 20 minutes they found the cap. It was listed under side panel. Why it wouldn't be listed with cooling system is beyond me!