Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What the hey is going on here !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What the hey is going on here !

I have an 02 660 grizzly. I got it new so I am the only owner. Picked it up at the end of 01.
Now for the first time this summer I started to have battery problems. ie. battery dead when trying to start it. So using one of the battery packs I could just hook to it and it would start right away. Run around and put it away and the next time dead battery again.
Well I gave up and got a new battery. Now I take the old battery out and put the new in. Now putting new battery in I hook up the pos. first and then go and put the neg. on and before I can get it tighten down the starter engages. What the heck ! The switch off, the kill button is on kill and still the starter runs ? I pull off cable from neg and it stops. Touch it back and it tries to start again ! Now I hold the cable on by hand and starter is working so I hit the gas a couple of time and it starts. Pull off neg cable and can hear engine and starter both running just before it shuts off. All this with the switch off and kill button engage.
What the heck is going on here ?
Thanks for any help you can give me or point me the direction of what could be wrong.

Marty

Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Red face

found my problem. starter solenoid stuck in closed position. Took it and banged it on the work bench a couple times and it opened up. So I had to order a new one today from stealer and it will be about a week. Stealer told me yea , they are the first thing that goes on them ! Then why does he not stock them ?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

lmao wow that sucks, who knew a solinoied would be killing your battery?

but what confuses me, is if your key isnt on, how can it kill the battery?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

constant juice to electronics...doesn't have to much to run down the battery. knew a late 90's chevy caprice that did that....new battery, new altenator, new cables and still couldn't figure out why the battery kept dying or running down over a period of 3 days sitting still. the guy ended up selling the car cause nobody could tell him why or figure out the problem. Not saying you should sell it...4 wheelers are much simpler in my opinion to troubleshoot or fix.